Stacks - Is water a concern? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Question Stacks - Is water a concern?

I want to run the 5" or 6" MBRP Dual stack setup on my truck. Worried about rain/water collecting in the pipes though. Is this a problem? I'd be running the "Aussie" style...so the tips aren't pointing straight up.
http://www.xtremediesel.com/mbrpinca...variation=2997

http://www.xtremediesel.com/mbrpincc...stipsonly.aspx

2000 Excursion
2012 Challenger R/T
2015 Tahoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Stacks - Is water a concern?

also, how bad does smoke circulate? I spend 99% of my time with the windows down. I'm worried about smoke/exhaust getting sucked back into the cab. This alone will kill it for me if it's bad

2000 Excursion
2012 Challenger R/T
2015 Tahoe
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 11:32 AM
PSN Newb

I have had stacks on all of my trucks and the only time smoke got in the cab was when i wasnt moving and the wind was from behind, even then it was minimal. For the water issue, just drill a small 5/16"(or smaller) hole in the Y pipe under each stack and in the elbow from under the bed.

1999 F350 7.3, Dually, 285 16's Cooper STS, ZF6, 5" exhaust, BHAF.

2003 F250 6.0L, Leveling kit, 6" Single Mitre

1999.5 VW Jetta TDI, 222k miles, 5 Speed(still stock clutch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), Evry Mod, Bosio 1019 DLC, Homemade CAI, 3" DP back w/ 4.5" tip(sold)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:29 PM
PSN Veteran

If you don't cover the stacks in the rain, the next time you start up the truck little black spots will be all over your roof and bed from the soot mixing with the rain water. Other than that, there are no other problems. If you want to avoid this you can either drill a small hole under the Y-pipe, or buy one of those stack covers (not sure if they make them for an aussie though).

I never had a problem with smoke getting in the cab on my last truck.

2007 F-250 CCLB Lariat FX4 6.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuekear View Post
I just blow my heads off the block once a year. Keeps nice clean antifreeze in it, although not that cost effective it sure is fun.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I wish I had a truck nearby with stacks so I could compare. I saw 1 truck locally with them, but he was a V-10. Didn't sound right, and his stacks were about 4 ft apart vice being in the bed corners.

I figure the Aussie will prevent probably 75% of any water entry from their angle. Mainly worried about the smoke. glad to hear it isn't really an issue.

how is noise level? I'm cool with rumble and some loudness. But does it get obnoxious or too loud having the stacks right there at the cab?

2000 Excursion
2012 Challenger R/T
2015 Tahoe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 PM
PSN Veteran

I have a miter cut 6" stack right now. I use to have two 5" curved stacks. Rain water gets into the 6" miter cut stack easier because it is pointed straight upward. Never had an issue with the 5" curved stacks. So you'll be good with the aussie style stacks. If you're really worried, just do like said....drill a small hole at the bottom of each 90* elbow for each stack.

2004 F-350 SC 4x4 6L....little bit of this...little bit of that
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

do the drilled holes make any annoying exhaust noises? the clatter from the engine and the stacks themselves will probably kill any extra noise I'm sure. but it never hurts to ask

This is going to be a $700 purchase and I want to make sure I don't end up pissed off with a 5" hole in the bed and useless stacks sitting in the garage

2000 Excursion
2012 Challenger R/T
2015 Tahoe
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 09:06 PM
GA Coal Roller

I have a 7" mitre cut offset from the middle and love it. I've got the hole drilled out in the bottom and it helps a little. On a good rainy day, when you start it up...it WILL give you "black rain".

'04 F-250 CC FX4 6.0L / studs / black onyx / bulletproof hpop / egr delete / boost / egt / trans / oil temp / water temp / SCT w/ custom tunes by leadfoot diesel / 35" ATZs / 20x9 / 6" mitre / train horns / zoodad / 58v Swamps / 6.4 banjos / Blue Spring / list goes on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode