2003 6.0L No Power/ starts,Idles great - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

2003 6.0L No Power/ starts,Idles great

My mom has a beautiful 2003 6.0l A few weeks ago I installed a Sinister Diesel EGR delete kit Installed a new oil cooler EGR cooler bypass new intake manifold gasket and serviced the truck Oil/Filter/ Fuel Filters . She lives 2 hours away So I drove the truck around a couple days and it ran perfect. She came top pick it up and drove it home to the coast 2 hours away. I called her and she says it ran perfect and no CEL . The next week she called and said the truck was loosing power and would not climb any hills and the following day she called and said the truck starts up good and idles great but wont go over 10 MPH. She has an appointment with the local Ford dealer But its a small town dealer (Not much faith) I had her hold the phone outside while she started it and it starts fine and idles great. I am going down there this weekend and was looking for some direction on what to look for. I am a 7.3L Guy Need all the help I can get on the 6.0l stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Forged rods R 4 SISSIES!

Re: 2003 6.0L No Power/ starts,Idles great

Some things to check...

The unison ring or turbo vanes bight be sticking (no boost means no fuel and no power)
Loose intercooler boot
Clogged fuel filter
Low oil level
Clogged EBP sensor or tube
Random unplugged sensor (may have come loose after the repair)

When driving (or trying to anyway) see if you can hear the turbo spooling or if there's any smoke from the exhaust. If you're not seeing any boost, the turbo might be suspect. Without a scan-tool diagnosis is going to be a little tricky. However, you should be able to logically work your way through the basic stuff and come up with some sort of idea where the problem. Check all connections, intercooler boots, and other obvious stuff. A light tap on the back of the turbo exhaust housing can help loosen up a stuck unison ring, at least for diagnostic purposes. If all else fails, off to the dealer you go for further diagnosis. It would just suck to get down there and find that a sensor came unplugged or you were low on oil.

Good luck.

Bill Cohron - (678) 890-1110

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- The Original in Custom Ford PSD & Gas Tuning since 1997

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FOREVER
2001 7.3L - Stage 1's and a Tymar - 399 HP
2004 6.0L - 440 HP #2 Only/482 HP on Boost Juice - 12.961 @ 102.6 MPH
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I didn't think about the EBP sensor . Wouldn't that turn on the CEL? I know the turbo is fine . When I had it off I checked and cleaned it and the oil level is good cause I just service it and it took more oil then normal cause I replaced the oil cooler I also replaced both fuel filter. I will check the CAC hoses maybe I cut one putting them back on. Thank for all the help. I will keep you posted on what I find

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Forged rods R 4 SISSIES!

I've had clogged EBP sensors not set codes before and the truck still run like a turd. I only mention it as a possible cause, although it's not likely. I'd say it's something boost related as the fuel on the 6.0L is very dependent on an accurate boost reading.

Let us know what you find out.

Bill Cohron - (678) 890-1110

- The Original in Custom Ford PSD & Gas Tuning since 1997

FOREVER
2001 7.3L - Stage 1's and a Tymar - 399 HP
2004 6.0L - 440 HP #2 Only/482 HP on Boost Juice - 12.961 @ 102.6 MPH
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

She called me on Friday and Ford told her it was the HPOP They were not sure right away because it starts great. But after plugging it in and watching the pressures That what they told her. I was wondering do the new HPOP come with the updated STC. My buddy at International said there new one do but wasn't sure about Fords ? Didnt want to attempt that in her driveway so she is haveing for do it . Wish I would of known that was going bad I was just in there doing the EGR delete and new ICP sensor. Anyway thanks for all your help
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 06:20 AM
PSN Local

03s don't use an ebp sensor, its there but not used on early models. They depend more on the maf and map sensors. Late models rely a lot on the ebp sensor. Just throwing that out there. Good luck on the truck let us know what it was
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ford is giving her the run around they have had the truck over a week now. I called them and they said they replaced the HPOP but because she drove it around with low power it took out the ICP Regulator. I have never heard of that. What I think happened is they changed the HPOP and that did not fix the problem then they found out the regulator was bad. They are trying to blame her for that. And they they said when I installed the delete kit that I put the intake gaskets in wrong. I am sure I didnt. I told them it ran fine for over a week. I amtrying not to piss them off because my mom has to deal with them. But I am going to draw the line soon. I havn't worked on a ton of these but wouldn't you check the regulator first then the pump?????????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode