Performance mods for longevity - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Underfunded

Send a message via AIM to moonshiner
Performance mods for longevity

Just bought the wife her very own F350 '04 6.0l... We got a screaming deal on the rig an im just looking to modify the common issues on this engine/truck before we get into trouble. I know very little about these engines but with a little research on this web forum an others ive heard the EGR have to be deleted... But who's kit should be bought and should a kit even be bought??...
Im not really looking at hot rodding the truck much, just make it run better for tye wife an possibly boost MPG...
All the help yall can offer would be stellar!
Thanks

1996 F350: 4.10's Detroit Locked Front/Rear, Rampage Chip, SD/Racor E-Fuel, Adrenaline, 160cc's, Bell SS/66 Turbo, SD CAC, 315/75/16's Fierce M/Ts, 6" Lift, 6ft Traction Bars, 5" Stacks.

2007 Harley FXSTB: Bassani Prostreet Pipes, Terry Comp tuner, V&H Air Cleaner

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTX

2010 VW Jetta 2.5

SEMPER FI - USMC LT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 05:43 AM
PSN Local

Re: Performance mods for longevity

river city diesel has good egr delete kits
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 03:19 PM
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods

The BEST place to start is with a monitoring device so you can see what your current engine parameters are. You need to be looking at Engine Oil Temps (EOT) and Engine Coolant Temps (ECT) to make sure the difference between the two is less than 15F when you are at normal operating temperature and cruising on flat ground at like 55 mph. This will tell you if your oil cooler is clogged and maybe getting ready to go out. As far as EGR deletes. You can do a full delete, but if you have emissions testing then I would recommend an upgraded egr cooler like one from either sinister or bullet proof diesel. Either way get the monitor like an Edge CS or CTS or a Scanguage II this way you can see where you are starting from and how future mods affect your engine. Hope this helps.

Nate
06 F350 4x4: Non-VGT 67mm Turbo, WPE Big Oil HPOP, HD 215/85s, Race Ported Intake, NB/Warren Tranny, and some other stuff.... 100k miles and counting....

06 F250 2wd: Stock... EGR delete, Race Ported Intake, and a mild street tune.... Leaking HGs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WINDRUNNER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (WPE)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 04:03 PM
PSN Veteran

longevity list:

Head studs (arp)
Factory Head gaskets
egr delete (most are typical, i run a river city delete, sinster makes a nice kit)
coolant filter kit
some guages (or cs or cts monitor)
might look into the oil cooler rebuild (factory parts)
factory fuel regulator spring upgrade (blue spring upgrade)
maybe some 6.4 banjos
maybe an exhaust (more for sound than hp gain, but will help lower the egts)
You could also look into some tunes from eric at innovative, or matt at gear head....there are tons of tuners out there, just do some research on them.

completley stock truck...just a simple cat back system....and maybe a few other odds and ends
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokedkid87 View Post
longevity list:

Head studs (arp) $395 from browns diesel
Factory Head gaskets International may have them cheaper
egr delete (most are typical, i run a river city delete, sinster makes a nice kit)
coolant filter kit
some guages (or cs or cts monitor) scan gauge Or the original edge insight
maybe some 6.4 banjos Or drill out the originals and remove the valve
You could also look into some tunes from eric at innovative, or matt at gear head and quick tricks, that is the top 3....there are tons of tuners out there, just do some research on them.
STC update
Standpipes and dummy plug update.

For exhasut delete pipes or a full system works well. Delete pipes or system will drop ~200*
Delete pipes will not loses as much low end compared to the bigger systems, and egt drop difference is minimal.
The differences are sound and price for trucks under lets say 550hp
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 07:25 AM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokedkid87 View Post
longevity list:

Head studs (arp)
Factory Head gaskets
coolant filter kit
some guages (or cs or cts monitor)
maybe some 6.4 banjos
You could also look into some tunes from eric at innovative, or matt at gear head....there are tons of tuners out there, just do some research on them.
This is the exact point that I have finally reached this summer. Hopefully I'll be looking at many trouble free miles.

2005 F250 Lariat FX4 ARP Studs, River City EGR Delete, CC Vent Mod, Tunes from Innovative, Innovative FICM flash, Zoodad, 4" Magnaflow Straight Turbo Back, Sinister Coolant Filter, Ford Blue Spring Upgrade, 6.4 Banjo's, leveling kit, Bilstiens, B&W Companion, F350 blocks, 35" Toyo M/T's on stock 17's
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Underfunded

Send a message via AIM to moonshiner

Well Oregon doesnt emmissions test diesels or at least not this year of them so I can delete my EGR and cat.
What is wrong with the oil cooler rebuild and why a filter?
Where would I get the fuel spring?
What will the 6.4 banjo's do for me?
Thanks!

1996 F350: 4.10's Detroit Locked Front/Rear, Rampage Chip, SD/Racor E-Fuel, Adrenaline, 160cc's, Bell SS/66 Turbo, SD CAC, 315/75/16's Fierce M/Ts, 6" Lift, 6ft Traction Bars, 5" Stacks.

2007 Harley FXSTB: Bassani Prostreet Pipes, Terry Comp tuner, V&H Air Cleaner

2008 Honda Ridgeline RTX

2010 VW Jetta 2.5

SEMPER FI - USMC LT.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 11:54 AM
PSN Veteran

Well Oregon doesnt emmissions test diesels or at least not this year of them so I can delete my EGR and cat. Just be aware that once you delete the egr, you will need to have a programs that will clear the code on the dash. I am pretty sure that if you get tunes from the suggested people, they will write in the program to clear that cod and check engine light on your dash.

What is wrong with the oil cooler rebuild and why a filter? after the egr delete, rebuilding the oil cooler will help better filter out particles that can lead to engine damage. Also the new oil cooler kits replace the screen as well, from a cloth type screen to a new metal stainless screen. The coolant filter will also help filter out your coolant, and keep harmful particles from getting into the motor and causing damage. You can search on the site and find out more about it. Im sure someone else can elaborate a little more about these two items

Where would I get the fuel spring? You can get the blue spring upgrade from ford, its the fuel regulator rebuild kit. It comes with all new gaskets, orings, and cover. as well as the spring. You only need the spring, but sicne you will have the other parts new, good idea to just rebuild the enire thing.

What will the 6.4 banjo's do for me? I saw the reccomendation of drilling out the 6.0 banjos, however for the cost of the 6.4 bajos (i think i paid somewhere around 15 bucks for the banjos and washers) i would spend the money. They help flow fuel better.

completley stock truck...just a simple cat back system....and maybe a few other odds and ends
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Pitbull-Powerstroker

The OP has an 04 and when i did my delete on my 04 i did NOT have to use a tuner to remove a dash CEL. I think thats with 05+

04 2wd 6.0 , with all kinds of overpriced stuff added and deleted ..
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:25 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loonatic View Post
The OP has an 04 and when i did my delete on my 04 i did NOT have to use a tuner to remove a dash CEL. I think thats with 05+
okay, yea i know there was a year or two where it did not throw a code, i thought it was just 03....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode