6.0L Rev-X Testing - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

6.0L Rev-X Testing

Well, we finally got around to picking up a nice little 6.0L so we could really start beating these things and see what they're going to handle. We did some dyno testing relating to calibration differences, but that's for another post. I want to cover here specifically what benefits we saw from adding Rev-X to our oil.

Here are the vehicle specs:

Engine: Late 2004 (2005 style heads)
Mileage: 284,000
Block: Stock
Heads: Head Job (Valves, Guides), Head Studs, Black Onyx Head Gaskets
Turbo: Stock
Injectors: Stock (Some newly replaced, though not sure how many)
Exhaust: Completely Stock (Cat still in place)
ECM: VXBC9N8
TCM: TQBF0NA
FICM: ARZ2AL10

The first thing we did when we purchased the truck was to toss the Inductive Heating (I/H) strategy in favor of a non-I/H version. It simply stands to reason that if the injectors (or specifically, the spool valves) are in good shape, there's no need at all for the inductive heating of the injectors.

Well, I found out on my first cool morning that the I/H strategy was covering up some slight deficiencies and stiction issues with the injectors. Starting was not a problem and the idle was reasonably smooth. However, a short trip up the road revealed an extremely noticeable miss above 25% throttle. This lasted for about 2 miles before the injectors warmed up enough to function correctly. Honestly nothing terribly unexpected from running this particular FICM strategy.

A few days later we got the truck over to the shop and strapped it down to the rollers just so we could see what's what. We did several comparisons with different base ECM and FICM strategy combinations, just to get some real-world numbers. The original VXBC9N8 strategy was a bit of an underperformer, although this what I had expected anyway. I switch to the VXBC6 an found modest improvements which, again, was what I expected.

After a few hours of swapping files in and out, I ended up with a solid 140 HP program that was putting down some pretty impressive numbers:

419 HP at 2800 RPM
820 Ft/Lbs at 2600 RPM
400+ HP from 2600 RPM to redline

Needless to say, I was pretty happy with those numbers and was ready to call it a day. Then a thought hit me. (I know, it's rare ) Just for grins, I grabbed some Rev-X off the shelf, poured it in the engine, and let the engine run for a bit while I checked other fluids, analyzed my earlier datalogs and dyno plots, and cleaned up a bit. After about 30 minutes, I decided to try a couple more runs. Now keep in mind that this vehicle had been running for about 3 hours solid, with the only off time being how long it would take to change programs (maybe 2-3 minutes) so the engine oil and coolant temps were reasonably stable.

I will regularly do a series of three dyno runs, disregarding the first, using the second, and referencing the 3rd for comparitive accuracy. The following dyno plot is done with this format. These are the 2nd run plots for the 140 HP program with and without Rev-X.

(click image to enlarge)

As you can clearly see, the Rev-X has made a significant difference in power through the entire RPM band, especially between 2000 and 2600 PRM. The was a 9 HP and 25 Ft/Lb peak gain, with the 400+ HP mark moving down to 2550 RPM.

What I also noticed (and you can't see on the dyno) is that over the next few mornings my cold running issue had been completely eliminated. The trucks starts up perfectly and I can immediately take off without so much as a skip or hiccup.

I am currently planning to produce some fuel economy results, but I unfortunately do not have any "before" numbers since I hadn't even used 1/4 of a tank before we put the Rev-X in. However, I'm very interested to see what my final economy does come out to... once I settle down and quit playing with the truck.

Up until now, I've been extolling the virtues of Rev-X simply based on the responses and feedback from our customers. In fact, that was how we found out about it in the first place. Now, as a Rev-X user, I must say that I am thoroughly impressed. Will it work for everyone? Who's to say. We've most certainly had non-positive feedback from customers who said it did nothing for them, but those type of feedback were pretty infrequent. In most cases, our customers did notice some positive benefits. I know I'm pretty happy with it.

I hope this information is helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:36 PM
i like to party

Re: 6.0L Rev-X Testing

GREAT thread bill this needs to be stickied
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 07:42 PM
PSN Veteran

Great write up. I usually recommend 2 bottles of RevX to customers who have our FICM flash with no I/H. It usually takes care of most, if not all, of the cold start concerns. It's amazing stuff.

Exactly, there's an easy 15-20rwhp between FSM7 and FSM8, due to the FICM changes.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Trade up playa

Thumbs up Re: 6.0L Rev-X Testing

Very interesting, thanks for the info.

05 XLT F250<--SOLD
6.uh oh
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"An optimist will tell you the glass is half-full; the pessimist, half-empty; and the engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be"
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 07:59 PM
96 Ford F-350 PSD

I just put in my two bottles for the first time this last Friday(June 10th) and just over the weekend with only putting on about 10 miles or so I have noticed that the truck seems to run a little smother and starts better.

Thanks for the write up. I have a friends 6.0 that we jut added also due to the cold starting issue. Hopefully it takes care of the problem so injectors don't need to be replaced.

96 Ford PSD! Custom intercooler, 01 Aluminum radiator, S&B Intake, 5" exhaust, Stage 2 injectors, Complete stud kit, 3" aluminum intake plenums, Fuel system w/aeromotive pump and regulator, Coolant filter, BTS Trans, Adrenaline HPOP, live tuned DP Tuner, 4" lift, MKW19 wheels and Toyo MTs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 11:44 PM
mmmm...beer....

Very good information! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerHungry View Post
Will it work for everyone? Who's to say. We've most certainly had non-positive feedback from customers who said it did nothing for them, but those type of feedback were pretty infrequent.
It's probably a fairly safe assumption that those who Rev-X DIDN'T work for either had an electrical issue or a non-injector related issue. Either that or their injectors were so far gone, mechanically, nothing could bring them back.

Edit: When I dosed my truck ~15-20k ago, it instantly cured the high load/high RPM miss that I was developing. Been running strong since.

Scott
06' F-250 Harley Davidson CC SB
Lifted 6", 37" Nitto Mud Grapplers, intake, exhaust, gauges, tunes by Eric, GoGo Stage 1, Power Max, Strictly RR, Ported Uppipes, Swamps 58v FICM w/Atlas 80, 5r by Elite.

04' Excursion
Stock

99' F-250 EC SB
Stockish
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetnsloppy4x View Post
It's probably a fairly safe assumption that those who Rev-X DIDN'T work for either had an electrical issue or a non-injector related issue. Either that or their injectors were so far gone, mechanically, nothing could bring them back.
I would agree with you 100%. I'd be inclined to say that a FICM voltage issue, spool valve issue, or just plain oil viscosity/quality could very well have played into the lack of improvement when running the Rev-X. I know my FICM is pumping out a solid 48V and at least 3 of the injectors are new. I'm sure they're not all new, as I did have the miss/stumble until things warmed up, but I do know that our truck didn't run nearly as bad as some of the trucks we've seen.

I guess this is the 6.0L version of "Cackle". A lot of people have the problem, but not everyone responds to the same fixes. What works for me, may not work for the next guy.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:28 AM
FNG

I knew there was a reason I liked the Rev X from day one.

Which reminds me Ive gotta call Tim and order another bottle.

Oh and get with Bill for a FICM tune

Dave G

06 F250 Lariat 4x4 leveled on 35s

4 inch flowmaster exhaust
Bulletproof diesel egr delete.
Bulletproof diesel FICM
Performance Machine & Manufacturing Coolant Filter Kit

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:15 AM
PSN Veteran

i've used rev-x for a couple years and it's awesome. It will be in the oil at every oil change for the life of the engine.

I don't how certain year strategies compare to one another. But mine is ECM - VXAP2B2 TCM - TQAU0N2. I have ID's moderate FICM, but would like to know if my strategy is a good one for my early '04

2004 F-350 SC 4x4 6L....little bit of this...little bit of that
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:59 AM
PSN Local

Just orderd 2 bottles. My daily driver has been a little sloppy lately. I'll make sure and post up if I notice any results.

10's ???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode