Lifetime oil filter? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Lifetime oil filter?

I was reading an article recently on the "lifetime oil filter" and was wondering if anybody has had any experience with it in the 6.0? It seems too good to be true, especially with how picky the 6.0 is with oil and filters.

Mark
05 F-250 Lariat
6" lift W/ 35's
Stock W/ Sinister coolant filter system, BPD 6 phase FICM, blue spring upgrade
51 gal Titan fuel tank
Edge Insight CS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Re: Lifetime oil filter?

I thought the same
I would't try them myself

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:32 PM
burning mine saving yours

Seems like the risks wouldn't really outweigh the benefits. If keeping my filters changed atleast every 5k keeps the engine happy, although costly, it would be more costly to find out the "lifetime filters" don't work and have a huge catostrophic failure. Nice idea, but too risky imo.

04 6.0l Excursion
4x4
6" Lift, 35' BFG's, Powermax
AFE Intake, CFM+
Swamps 58v ficm, ARP, EGR delete
Sct x3 w/ID,DJ,GH tunes, Autometer/Isspro
4"MBRP SS exhaust cat/muffler delete
6.4 banjos, FPR spring upgrade
Shell Ultra ELC, Coolant filter, CCV mod, Zoodad Mod
07' Harley headlights, 08' Tow mirros
Hellwig swaybar, Billstein 5100's

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 06:14 PM
i like to party

when your entire injection system is driven by high pressure oil, oil needs to be clean and needs all of is properties to be in tip top shape. I wont recommend anything past 10k miles on and oil change with a bypass filter, 6.0's are entirely different than most other trucks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:56 PM
PSN Local

probably about as great of an idea as the other aftermarket oil filters. You know the ones that come with caps that break the bypass valve and or blow appart due to the cheap plastic and pump oil everywhere. Not to mention leave you stranded.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:01 PM
PSN Veteran

For the potential $$$ it may save you in the long run, or the potential $$$ a new engine costs in the short term. I would and will personnaly stick with the Factory Ford filters just for the peace of mind. Just my .02 cents worth.

2011 6.7 yet to be ####ed with.... Yet...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:45 PM
PursuitInterceptor

$20 for an oil filter every 5-7k miles is cheap insurance. If you want to go cheap on maintenance just park the truck.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend....those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

You dig.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:55 PM
'05 Excursion

I was looking at these filters also but they do not say exactly down to what micron they filter to. So for that reason I passed on them. Although their remote setup would be great for filtering cooling water.

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 03:09 PM
PSN Veteran

I run nothing but the original ford filter in my truck..I change my oil quite frequently usually about every 3-5k. It gets expensive but so isn't the hpo system..

2004 F350 6.0 ECSB Lariat. All the normal stuff

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 05:01 PM
'05 Excursion

I wish someone would fab up a kit to make a DUAL remote setup with the OEM filter. I know the vans with the 6.0 engine have the filter mounted next to the oil pan being fed via hardpipe down from the top of the engine.

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode