turbo install tips - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

turbo install tips

im putting my bd thruster in with the diverter, im having a heck of a time getting a wrench on the exhaust flang bolts, you guys got any tips? is it possible to put the turbo and the mount in all together, cause this sure bites trying to get these bolts tight, i feel stupid for asking this but iv taken my cab off in alot less time then iv put into installing this turbo today lol

99 ford superduty started its life with a 5.4 triton, now its got a 05 6.0 powerstroke in it , BD thruster turbo, RCD 175 cc injectors, ARP studs, black onyx gaskets inovative tunes. homade egr delete. homade RR fuel system fass 150 pump, suncoast trans kit ran 13.4 fuel only
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Almost broke

Re: turbo install tips

I took a box end wrench 15mm (I think) and bent it to tighten the nuts. I know what you're talking about..... nice kit but a PIA to install.
let me know how that diverter valve works

Chris

2004 F250 Lariat 6.0L
Torqueshift, 4x4, Supercab, Shortbox.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:08 PM
i like to party

what are the specs of the BD thruster with the new diverter?

let us know how it runs with the 175's

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 11:46 PM
PSN Local

Best tip I can give you-leave the rearmost turbo bolt out-lol-its a PITA. Feel around, its tough to get to and nearly impossible to see. Make sure to use 6 point sockets as any bolt that has seen as many heat cycles as those have is bound to be seized something fierce, and 12 points have a propensity for stripping. Remove the Degas bottle, and unclip the harness from the loom directly above the turbo. Remove the loom and tie the harness up. Take the intake out in one piece, not the ends/filter seperately. Remove the oil line at the intake to avoid replacing the gasket (I guess you'll be chaning it anyway) and use plenty of penetrating oil/allow it to soak before attempting. Loosen both up-pipes, start the y-pipe on the turbo and tighten it down. Then tighten the downpipes. Makes alignment much easier, and prevents leaks from the turbo inlet not sealing to the y-pipe. Any questions, PM me!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 AM
PSN Veteran

After your all done, leave the turbo feed line off the turbo, pour oil down the feed hole, then put the line back on the turbo, star the truck. And take your time :)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I won't get to work on it again till the end of next week but it is a pita for sure! If it didn't have the diverter valve I don't think it would be that bad, you can't even get a socket. On any of these nuts... heck you can't even get a wrench on 2 of em lol.. I'm about to jack the cab up lol if I ever get these bolts tight I will let you guys now how it works lol

99 ford superduty started its life with a 5.4 triton, now its got a 05 6.0 powerstroke in it , BD thruster turbo, RCD 175 cc injectors, ARP studs, black onyx gaskets inovative tunes. homade egr delete. homade RR fuel system fass 150 pump, suncoast trans kit ran 13.4 fuel only
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:10 PM
PSN Veteran

Jeezz...things to look forward to...

I had to put mine in as well just to got the up pipes lined up before I welded the new stainless steel bellows in. It was fun just getting the whole bracket, and adaptor flanges on...

2003 F-350 KingRanch 4x4
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Banned

I'm going to try to put mine in with the t4 adapter alreAdy on
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzimama View Post
I'm going to try to put mine in with the t4 adapter alreAdy on
You don't have the diverter do ya? That shouldn't. Be to bad

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extended Power View Post
Jeezz...things to look forward to...

I had to put mine in as well just to got the up pipes lined up before I welded the new stainless steel bellows in. It was fun just getting the whole bracket, and adaptor flanges on...
Lol let me know how many times you drop the flange. Nuts down in the valley trying to get em. Started with your fingernails think I was up to like 30 times lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode