Black Smoke but still got power! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Black Smoke but still got power!

Ok here's my situation:

I had a new motor put in. Ran great for a couple weeks. Using Innovative's 190cc standard injectors. After about a week I start to smoke TONS of black smoke, even at low throttle. Huge clouds at moderate to WOT.

Have the following codes on AE:
P0263 Cylinder 1 Injector Circuit Contribution/Balance Fault
P0401 EGR Flow insufficient Detected
P0674 Cylinder 4 glow plug circuit
P0675 Cylinder 5 glow plug circuit

Running eric's mild tow for the 190cc. I know the EGR check engine light etc. is built into the program and I never got the EGR code before. So something is up with that.

I talked to eric and he said injector #1 is bad. So I got a replacement. Got it to my tech to install but my tech said now AE is saying cylinder 5 is showing the contribution fault code, not #1. He doesn't want to start swapping out injectors if that's not the problem.
He has done the contribution test everyday for a week and every time it shows that the contribution balance is fine.

He said some guy he knows at NADP in Alberta said that the injectors I got from Innovative are garbage and aren't properly made. Something about the nozzle being welded or not properly made/attached?

So my questions are:

Are the injectors by Innovative crap? I researched a lot before purchasing and I never found anything negative about them. They aren't Casserly but Eric said they are good and that was good enough for me. They were from a local injector builder near him. THey were all flow tested at 189cc

Could the EGR valve be clogged from all the smoke and soot I have put out over the few weeks I drove it smoking? The EGR code didn't show up until a week or so after driving it when smoking lots. And AE never pulled an EGR code before.

If the EGR valve s turned off in a tune, can it still clog and cause a low power mode? The truck still hauls fast, even in tow, but if you roll into the throttle it bogs down big time. And I don't think it's turbo lag (Powermax) it seems different.

FICM tested fine.

Batteries are new

What could cause those codes? Could it just be that #1 injector.

Thanks for your help guys, I haven't had the truck for a week and it's getting to be a burden. I have read lots of posts about black smoke and lost power, but I still have tons of power. I'm just tired of smoking out the neighbours.:-hair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Banned

Re: Black Smoke but still got power!

And your positive that the turbo isnt playing any factor in this as well?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 PM
PSN Veteran

You have larger injectors and the truck smokes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 F250 CCSB FX4 Lariat
GlowShift Tinted gauges, Recon Clear Cab Lights, Diamond Eye Duals, SRL Files, 2.5" rize leveling kit, F350 Rear Blocks, PHP Tuned FICM, Retro Solution 6K HID's, DieselSite Coolant Filter...

2011 Oxford White SuperCrew EcoBoost FX2

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Banned

And throws Codes
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

It's a new Powermax. Eric accidentally sent an 05 and up model so my installer used the pedestal etc. from my 03 to make it work. Turbo seems to build up boost ok.

Maybe it's a combination of the turbo and a bad injector?

Yes, I know big injectors can be smokey, but I'm talking like fog a whole city while at 5% throttle. Eric said they may be a little smokey, but they weren't meant to be this bad, especially on a mild tow tune. He even turned the fuel down abit to see if it would help.

My truck is has an 03 motor. So the EBP sensor doesn't do anything right?

Wondering if it's a sensor. I just don't get why all the codes from one bad injector. But I am not a diesel tech, just a carpenter. Any thoughts are really appreciated.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Look, I'm new to this diesel truck thing. And I have never modified a vehicle like I have done to this truck before. I have been taking advice from Eric and researching to make my decisions for the modifications. I just don't know what I should be looking at to troubleshoot. I don't want to be chasing my tail.

So take it easy on a newbie and any helpful suggestions are welcome!

Thanks
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Banned

Is it running smooth? Or....
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

It does that same as when they were first installed on the old motor and new one. It idles a little higher, not much. And there is a bit of a different idle sound then stock. But nothing like I have heard on youtube with those lope tunes etc. Eric said it would idle a little rougher with the large sticks.

There has also been a few drops of oil every time I stop after driving. Even after stopping for just a couple minutes. But I have kept an eye on the oil level and it hasn't change anything noticeable. Fuel pressure is good at the airdog II and ITP return kit. The oil seemed to start about the same time as the smoke. Related maybe? I looked on the top of the motor and don't see any oil. I can "Maybe" see something under turbo area but it doesn't look serious, maybe just oil from the install.

Now you have me thinking a bad injector and turbo issues. But wouldn't the turbo show codes? And it is building boost ok. The truck goes fast if I want even in tow tune.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 PM
Hate 'R Us

Every single time I had a Cylinder Fault Code thrown, the injector for that cylinder was trashed. And I've had that happen 13 times and all 13 times, that cylinder #'s injector was gone...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

That's what Eric said. Any thoughts on why EGR code if the tuner blocks it and AE never pulled that code before my problems?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode