Better have a full beer in hand as she is a long read boys! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Better have a full beer in hand as she is a long read boys!

I am a little puzzled as to what the real issue is with my 04 Ex and would like some thoughts. Since it is the weekend I have no access to a scanner but will do so on Tuesday. I have done lots of looking as to signs of a failed FICM but none seem to like what I have I believe.

Within the last three weeks I had studs put in, Airdog 2, bullet proof external oil cooler and filter, powermax, GoGo stage 1 intake, new 155 injectors, NADP tranny, HPOP, coolant filter, alternator, coolant pump, and 7 gauges.

Got the truck back from all the work done and was running good no issues. I get a custom tune loaded up and everything is all good then I go to start it up in the morning the other day and nothing just cranks over. I read the codes from the SCT and it was P0603 and U0105 I clear them and then it starts. It runs good for a few more days then go to fire it up in the AM and nothing I get the U0105 code again and the low voltage code as well. I rip all my intake piping apart and unplug the harness from at the FCIM and follow all the wiring back to the PCIM a little wear noted but not through the outer core of the harness. Uplug and blow all the dust from the PCIM and go to start nothing. Check codes same one U0105 cycle my key 5 times or so wiggle the connector at the FCIM and then it fires up.

The truck does not run rough at all.

After looking at the wiring harness I can rule out a broke wire I think. Not a fuse as it would not start at all right? I can only think that it would be a FCIM or a PCIM. Batteries are new within the year

Before I took my intake piping apart from the mechanics shop to look at the harness I would make about 30lbs of boost at WOT on a performance tune. When I was at WOT it would sputter and drop down to 24lbs all intake piping is secure as I thought that I blew a rubber off the intercooler. After taking my intake piping apart I can not get anymore boost than 20lbs of and she smokes bad at WOT. My turbo is making more noise in the cab and kind of freaked me out. Now I am thinking that the mechanic did not have all the intake piping secure and I was able to make more boost because a hose clamp was not secure and she was sucking more air in.

I have a FCIM from innovative on its way

Thanks for any thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 02:05 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Better have a full beer in hand as she is a long read boys!

If the mechanic did not have all the intake piping secure/tight, it would make less boost...not more.

2004 F-350 SC 4x4 6L....little bit of this...little bit of that
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 02:33 AM
Car Ramrod

whos injectors did you get?

64mm non vvt
190cc
FASS 95GPH
CFM
ARP's
IDP FICM
MBRP-4"
KMC Rockstars
BFG-KM2
pure performance 4 link
BD diesel Diverter Valve

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 03:17 AM
Damnkids Motorsports

Send a message via AIM to Mdub707

Did you try testing the FICM voltage? It's pretty easy and would have taken less time than it did for you to type this post.

Also, agreed on the piping not being secured. It's all under pressure, not vacuum... it wouldn't be sucking air in, it'd be forcing more out, and less into the motor.

DamnKids Motorsports

2006 F-250 6.0 4x4 Vegistroked
SCT Xcal2 w/Innovative Diesel Tuning 466/772 7/19/08
Black smoke don't mean it's broke... it means your tuning sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
Paypal can go fuk themselfs... Buy me a beer the next time we meet.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdub707 View Post
Did you try testing the FICM voltage? It's pretty easy and would have taken less time than it did for you to type this post.

Also, agreed on the piping not being secured. It's all under pressure, not vacuum... it wouldn't be sucking air in, it'd be forcing more out, and less into the motor.
Going to check the voltage today as I need to get a meter and another set of hands for that task. I am just wanting to rule out all other possibilities and see if anyone else has had an issues like what I am having.

The intake piping is under a vacuum up stream of the turbo and downstream side would be under pressure. My thoughts are that if the turbo is open to the atmosphere or a loose boot with it "should" flow more air and create more boost than if a filter and associated piping is connected and restricting flow. Not sure if that would be a 100% correct statement or not.

Injectors were from Mr Doug. I could not get the name of the shop he got them from as it seemed to be a secret. All I got out of him was it was a "few states North" The reason I got them from him was that the other big names selling injectors seem to be hit and miss and Doug convinced me to get them from him. I guess time will tell if I got shaft or not.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 04:47 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve'O View Post
Going to check the voltage today as I need to get a meter and another set of hands for that task. I am just wanting to rule out all other possibilities and see if anyone else has had an issues like what I am having.

The intake piping is under a vacuum up stream of the turbo and downstream side would be under pressure. My thoughts are that if the turbo is open to the atmosphere or a loose boot with it "should" flow more air and create more boost than if a filter and associated piping is connected and restricting flow. Not sure if that would be a 100% correct statement or not.

Injectors were from Mr Doug. I could not get the name of the shop he got them from as it seemed to be a secret. All I got out of him was it was a "few states North" The reason I got them from him was that the other big names selling injectors seem to be hit and miss and Doug convinced me to get them from him. I guess time will tell if I got shaft or not.
I miss understook ya. I thought you were talking about the IC piping and boots.

2004 F-350 SC 4x4 6L....little bit of this...little bit of that
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Damnkids Motorsports

Send a message via AIM to Mdub707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve'O View Post

The only portion under vacuum is from the turbo to the air filter. You could take that completely off and not notice anything, so no, that's not your problem. I'd definitely check that FICM voltage and let us know how you make out with that. Since you're throwing codes for it, that's probably it. Test it and see.

My buddy had an 04 that kept throwing codes for it but would run ok. He just kept clearing the codes. 2 weeks later truck dies driving 65mph out of no where and no restart.

DamnKids Motorsports

2006 F-250 6.0 4x4 Vegistroked
SCT Xcal2 w/Innovative Diesel Tuning 466/772 7/19/08
Black smoke don't mean it's broke... it means your tuning sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
Paypal can go fuk themselfs... Buy me a beer the next time we meet.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Well hooked up a real scanner today and I got a U0306 code Software incompatibility with fuel injector control module. None of the hardware has ever been changed out and the only change to the software has been a tune I just recently loaded up. The FCIM is ok the voltage is right where is should be. I am going to re program it back to stock and see if I can reproduce the no start issue again to determine if it is a glitch in software tune. Back to square one I guess for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode