If you had to choose... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
BRING DA AMBALAMPS

If you had to choose...

between an upgraded TC or suncoast rebuilt kit (shift kit, solenoid, new pumps, clutches, etc)...which would you do first? i'd like to do both at once but can't...the new kid is sucking up all the extra $$! I have roughly 530-550hp if that helps...

2005 CC FX4...compounds and everything else that goes with em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Reppin' the 6.4L

Re: If you had to choose...

Upgraded TC.

Blake

Looking for a second 6.4L....

2008 F-250 CCSB King Ranch 6.4L
4" Rough Country Lift, Dual Steering Stabilizers, 20x10" XD Diesels, 35x12.50x20" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Line-X, 15% Tint, MBRP 4" Cool Duals w/ 6" Tips, S&B Intake, Flo-Pro EGR Delete and Elbow, MBRP CAC Tube
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Attention Whore

Which converter? The stock 5R110 converter is a pretty stout piece.

Spending money I don't have on crap I don't need to impress people I don't know.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
BRING DA AMBALAMPS

not really sure. looked at the ATS Five Star Viskus and the Suncoast. I'm just not sure what I'd really need. I want to start making some passes and eventually step up to a 64 or 66 turbo but I'm just not sure where to put my first bit of $$. I have a little bit of shift flaring but other than that it seems just fine. I know "if it aint broke, don't fix it" but I like planning ahead

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Attention Whore

I'd do the build kit now with a stock converter then. If you run a bigger single later on you may want a looser converter to help spool it. No need to buy 2...just buy the one you need when you need it. Your shift flare likely has nothing to do with the converter anyway.

Spending money I don't have on crap I don't need to impress people I don't know.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Banned

were in the same boat. im babying mine until i get back from TS then it is going to Twisted for one of rave's built trannys, broke or not. mine is ok on shifts, locks up hard, but hunts around when its hungry (ha), taps the rev limiter before it shifts sometimes, lol. wheres that money tree again
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
BRING DA AMBALAMPS

that's what I was thinking. I was possibly thinking about an upgraded direct drive solenoid with a new converter but it's not slipping at all so I'll just leave it alone for a while. how DIY friendly are these suncost rebuild kits? any reason for upgraded input shafts or do you think my stock shafts, flex plate, etc are fine for where I'm at?

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Reppin' the 6.4L

IMO, you have to completely tear down the transmission to do the rebuild whether it's burnt up or good, so I'd stick with the upgraded converter for now and then when it comes time, I'd rebuild it with better components. If you ever do a boosted launch, your converter will scream at you. Donzimama would know...

Blake

Looking for a second 6.4L....

2008 F-250 CCSB King Ranch 6.4L
4" Rough Country Lift, Dual Steering Stabilizers, 20x10" XD Diesels, 35x12.50x20" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Line-X, 15% Tint, MBRP 4" Cool Duals w/ 6" Tips, S&B Intake, Flo-Pro EGR Delete and Elbow, MBRP CAC Tube
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Big Plans

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroke of luck View Post
that's what I was thinking. I was possibly thinking about an upgraded direct drive solenoid with a new converter but it's not slipping at all so I'll just leave it alone for a while. how DIY friendly are these suncost rebuild kits? any reason for upgraded input shafts or do you think my stock shafts, flex plate, etc are fine for where I'm at?
the 5r takes a lot of specialty tools to do a rebuild IIRC

08 ECSB 6.4
MPD, GOGO, No Limit, Rudys, ARP, PMF, Innovative, AFE, Recon, Fuel, Nitto, Bilstein

Fueled by...Fuel, lots of it
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Attention Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroke of luck View Post
not really sure. looked at the ATS Five Star Viskus and the Suncoast. I'm just not sure what I'd really need. I want to start making some passes and eventually step up to a 64 or 66 turbo but I'm just not sure where to put my first bit of $$. I have a little bit of shift flaring but other than that it seems just fine. I know "if it aint broke, don't fix it" but I like planning ahead
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
IMO, you have to completely tear down the transmission to do the rebuild whether it's burnt up or good, so I'd stick with the upgraded converter for now and then when it comes time, I'd rebuild it with better components.
See bolded words above....if he has a flare now, no matter how slight, it's not gonna get better and he's already on the way to some sort of rebuild.
And why would you recommend an upgraded converter when he may need a higher stall in the future and the stock converter is perfect for what he needs now?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode