Re-tourqeing Headbolts? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Re-tourqeing Headbolts?

Just a curiosity question. Has anyone ever tried re-tourqueing their stock headbolts like the Dodge guys do?

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 03:59 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Re-tourqeing Headbolts?

For the stock bolts I don't think you can do that. They are a use 1 time bolt, and my thinking is a retorque would be a second usage. I would like to know about retorque with studs.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:01 AM
PSN Local

No re-torque required on the MLS style gaskets. Torque the ARP's once and forget about em.

Only time the stock headbolts should be touched is to pull them and scrap them!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Damnkids Motorsports

Send a message via AIM to Mdub707

Yeah they're already torqued to a % of their failure. They are actually yielded when tightened, thus the one time use...

DamnKids Motorsports

2006 F-250 6.0 4x4 Vegistroked
SCT Xcal2 w/Innovative Diesel Tuning 466/772 7/19/08
Black smoke don't mean it's broke... it means your tuning sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
Paypal can go fuk themselfs... Buy me a beer the next time we meet.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Aren't the Dodge headbolts supposed to be torque to yield too though? I'm not 100% sure.

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Bye-Bye 6.0, Hello 7.3!

I know I checked mine before I tore it down for head gaskets, and I would have expected something closer to 180, but they were closer to 115. You can certainly try and re-torque, but with TTY, there is no definitive spec, so anything you take them back up to is just a guess. For this very reason, if Cummins supplies a spec for re-torque, they are not TTY, but if there is no official re-torque spec, they may be, and then it would be up to some brave experimentors to try and find the failure point.

E99 (8/98) F-350 CCLB, Lariat, Black/Tan
7.3L, 4R100, 4WD, 3.73, 33s

Whats Done:
SCT Chip w/4 tunes by me; 4" Intake w/6637; 5" Dual Stacks, Straight Piped
Other Mods:
Pro-Tech Cab Guard & Box; Hella 500s (2 Euro, 3 spots); AR9100/AR6200
In The Works:
'05+ Axles w/6" Fabtech Lift; 37" M/Ts on raw '05 8-holes; Sprayed rockers & bed
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoF350 View Post
I know I checked mine before I tore it down for head gaskets, and I would have expected something closer to 180, but they were closer to 115. You can certainly try and re-torque, but with TTY, there is no definitive spec, so anything you take them back up to is just a guess. For this very reason, if Cummins supplies a spec for re-torque, they are not TTY, but if there is no official re-torque spec, they may be, and then it would be up to some brave experimentors to try and find the failure point.

They don't have a spec to re-torque too. They just bring them back to waht stock torque is or in some cases a little higher.

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:10 AM
PSN Local

actually you can reuse tq to yield bolts twice, however the reason why you don't reuse them is its safer to replace them then risk not knowing if they were reused before.

The other way you can look at it is the 6.4 tq procedure, you tq the head then loosen the bolts off then torque them and then do the final tq to yield. Where as the 6l you tq then tq to yeild with no loosening off.

Arp's i have tourqued, ran to operating temp, cooled and retourqued with some haveing slight movement. Retourqed a year later when doing a couple injectors and again some had slight movement.

If you've ever done head gaskets on a 6l with stock bolts you will know that there is a " feel " on the bolt when your tq to yielding them. I'm sure if you just added the extra tq to the bolts (in proper order)to that " feel " you would not have a problem and would probably benifit from a restored clamping. However If your gaskets are screwd then your more then likely sol.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic blue l View Post
I'm sure if you just added the extra tq to the bolts (in proper order)to that " feel " you would not have a problem and would probably benifit from a restored clamping.

That's what I'm thinking. I'd like to see someone try it.

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:27 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by imelmo View Post
That's what I'm thinking. I'd like to see someone try it.

I'd say give it a go but your truck prolly hasn't had stock bolts in some time.

01 f250 scsb Work Truck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode