4" downpipe? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

4" downpipe?

How many have one in thier truck and how hard was it to install? TIA

Official PSN special needs duramax guy! ASE cert. mastertech 2004 LB7, Efi-live with tunes from THE idahorob, s366 from EPR, head studs, Dmax-4 transmission kit, airdog 165, tie rod sleeves, intake, exhaust, gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 03:19 AM
6Leaker

Send a message via AIM to jdc753
Re: 4" downpipe?

I have a magnaflow 4" downpipe and honestly it wasn't all that bad to install. The hardest part was getting the turbo flange up and around the up-pipes. I would imagine the flange would be the same size on a 3.5" downpipe as well.

After that just some careful lining up the same you would with any exhaust and should be good to go. Its a TIGHT fit (probably less than a 1/4" on both sides at the tight spots) but it should also have a small flat spot where it passes by the bellows too.

2005 F350 Crew Cab Long bed
6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 04:07 AM
PSN Veteran

Not worth the hassle and possible rubbing issues.jmo

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 04:13 AM
PSN Veteran

I have a 4" flowmaster on mine. It was easy and no rubbing but it is easyer to do with two people.

06 F350 CC LB 4x4 with a few odds and ends
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 04:26 AM
PSN Local

I have a MBRP 4" DP and it was a breeze to put on.
Now the factory 3.5" DP was a pain!! Especially cause we didn't cut it.

Mine doesn't rub or anything. Nor does it viberate the floor in the cab or any where else.

As BUFF said it's easy with 2 people.

2003 F-350 Powerstroke 6.0L CC LB Lariat FX4
MBRP 4" Turbo Back- Straight Pipe Glowshift Gauges- EGT, Boost, and Trans Temp SCT X3 with Custom Tunes from Innovative Diesel 21/2" Pro Comp Leveling Kit Moto Metal 951 rims on 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrpowr View Post
The 6.4 is unreliable. You want a 03-04 6.0. Best motor ford ever built.

Last edited by 60POWERSTROKE73; 04-21-2011 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Info added
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 05:22 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60POWERSTROKE73 View Post
I have a MBRP 4" DP and it was a breeze to put on
MBRP doesn't offer a 4" downpipe. Its 3.5 " then steps up to 4" from the downpipe back. The stock downpipe is 3".
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 AM
PSN Local

Really? I didn't know that.
Oh well lol

2003 F-350 Powerstroke 6.0L CC LB Lariat FX4
MBRP 4" Turbo Back- Straight Pipe Glowshift Gauges- EGT, Boost, and Trans Temp SCT X3 with Custom Tunes from Innovative Diesel 21/2" Pro Comp Leveling Kit Moto Metal 951 rims on 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrpowr View Post
The 6.4 is unreliable. You want a 03-04 6.0. Best motor ford ever built.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks all, I'm thinking the guys who are saying it was easy don't actually have 4" downpipes because I put one on last night and it took one guy on top pulling and a guy underneath pushing and twisting with the truck on the lift. We were about to give up because the instructions said it might not fit. Getting the flange past was tricky but nothing like getting the rest in there. What a pita, you literally had to force it the whole way, now that its in its all good thoughvand sounds sweet!

Official PSN special needs duramax guy! ASE cert. mastertech 2004 LB7, Efi-live with tunes from THE idahorob, s366 from EPR, head studs, Dmax-4 transmission kit, airdog 165, tie rod sleeves, intake, exhaust, gauges.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 12:04 PM
6Leaker

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

Meh believe it or not I can go out to my truck and take a pic on the lunch break if your interested.

Might help because the magnaflow one is a 2-piece downpipe with a clamp just after the up pipe. Little tight for the clamp but enough room to get a air ratchet in there. The second piece of the downpipe goes from just above the bed plate to just after the transmission crossmember where it connects to the cat, or uses a 4" test pipe till it jumps up to 5" just after the cat. Only place where I had issues with rubbing was on the 2nd (furthest to the back) bolt on the transmission cross member, there is only about 1" on each side when the pipe is centered in the opening there.

Just guessing the other kits don't have a 2-piece downpipe if they are causing soo much trouble. I did mine on the ground and maybe that helped push it up around the up-pipe and firewall. Only the flange gave me trouble, once it was up then the pipe was very loose, but wasn't going to fall down, and I could wiggle it all over, just had to go to the top to put the v-band clamp on and was good.

My flat spot in the upper piece isn't as prominent as in this photo, but wasn't too hard to find, is a little bigger than a half dollar coin, and just simply flat instead of an actual indent like shown above.

2005 F350 Crew Cab Long bed
6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I believe you, the diamond eye kit I installed looked just like that. I wonder if there's a difference in trucks or having it on the lift made it tighter? The pipe was literally so tight going in that I doubt I could get it back out without mangling it????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode