Pump noise after hutch mod (kit by driven diesel) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Togo-stroke

Send a message via Skype™ to togo
Pump noise after hutch mod (kit by driven diesel)

Just finish doing hutch/ harpoon mod with kits from Driven Diesel... Baldwin filter primed (with almost 1liter diesel ) ...I turned key off/on x9 to prime the line then start engine ...no road test yet ....my big concern is I noticed noise from pump when I was priming(key on) .... Pump still making after I have the truck run for 5 mins this for 3 times.. I never pay attention to pump before the mod....so now I'm very nervous to go road test ....I double checked all the setting and everything appeared clean....... Only thing I left out (forgot it ) is that I did not put back the pickup umbrella mesh after I used drill bit to clear plastic tube and insert the tube in it.... I found it around after I close the tank lid( hard to close)...so my concern is about the noise of the pump!!!! Here in west Africa road assistance services are rare.......so I want suggestions and advices before I hit the road.....thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 12:33 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor!

Re: Pump noise after hutch mod (kit by driven diesel)

Pump noise is typically a sign of a restriction on either side of the pump. An outlet restriction will create very high pressure and noise, and is the most common noise complaint I've seen with fuel system work...but if you were only working pre-pump is doubtful.

An inlet restriction will make the pump work very hard to get fuel from the tank. This can create noise and more commonly makes the pump get very hot to the touch. The most common cause we have seen for this type of restriction is in the hose at the fuel tank. If the new hose in our kit was kinked or pinched between the tank and the frame, it will restrict fuel flow to the pump. This needs to be checked carefully.

Additionally, if the small factory return hose that jumps from the frame to the tank was kinked or pinched when the tank was reinstalled, that restriction will become the new pressure regulator in the system, drive overall pressure up, and create problems (see first paragraph).

Hope this helps.

{Sent from my stupid iPad...not responsible for typos}

Dennis Schroeder - Co-Owner of Strictly Diesel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/

Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Race Truck :: 5980# / 10.965 @ 124mph / Best 60' of 1.54 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Nitrous)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Togo-stroke

Thank u very much going to recheck all the lines again...however as a novice I want to know if generally the pump make some kind of noise because this one when the key is on the noise takes twice the time "wait"(before starting) sign takes and it will stop after the time .... And once the truck starts I cannot know if it continues while engine is working as I cannot distinguish the noise from the engine noise....thanks a lot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (12.2 KB, 12 views)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:06 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor!

The pump does make a light "whirrrrrrring" noise when running. It is NORMAL for it to run at key-on for about 20 seconds, then stop (if the engine is not started). It is also normal for it to not be audible once the engine is running. If you are concerned that it's too loud, it might help if you post a video of the pump so we can tell if it's "normal" or not.

/

/

Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Race Truck :: 5980# / 10.965 @ 124mph / Best 60' of 1.54 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Nitrous)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Togo-stroke

This is my kind of road test simulation (DIY dyno)....rear axle on jack stand ....I pressed the gas pedal to spin the wheels!.... Pump noise got better little bit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.5 KB, 6 views)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 02:02 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor!

I can't say that makes any sense. The pump noise shouldn't change with throttle input.

We still have not determined if the noise you are hearing is "normal" or not. We won't be able to do that without one of two things...either a video or audio clip of the what the pump sounds like...or a direct comparison to another truck. If you have a friend with a 7.3L that can park next to your truck and you can have them turn on the key (do not start the engine) and listen to their pump, then do the same with yours, it will give you a basis to compare with. If yours is significantly louder, then you need to keep looking for the cause. If they sound the same, then everything may be normal and you just may not have paid attention to the sound of the pump before.

The other options would be to try the following to see if the pump noise changes.

1. Disconnect the hose that goes from the fuel tank to the pre-pump filter (remove from tank). Drop the end of the hose into an external container of clean diesel fuel and turn the key on. If the pump gets quieter, there is some kind of blockage in the tank pickup assembly. Possibly the pickup extension was not fully seated and is too long and pressed to tight to the floor of the tank? Possibly the hose going up to the tank was pinched between the tank and the frame? You will have to determine where the problem is.

2. If that doesn't help, disconnect the outlet hose AFTER the fuel pump and dump it into a suitable container for diesel fuel. Turn the key on and listen to the pump. If the pump is not as noisy, the problem lies in the fuel lines AFTER the pump (clogged stock filter, malfunctioning stock regulator, pinched RETURN hose somewhere between the engine and tank, etc.).

3. If neither of these help at all, the problem may be the pump itself...but I don't want to make that assumption without establishing if it's really noisier than it should be (which gets back to comparing it to another truck or posting audio or video for us to listen to).

/

/

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Togo-stroke

Thank u very much will give it a try

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode