Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Smoked markers and tails

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  !!!PainTrain!!! 
#1 ·
Finally worked up the nerve to tint the marker lights and brake lights. I used VHT Nightshades. Seemed to turnout alright.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Did the same to my truck with the tails and 3rd brake. Came out awesome. I much prefer the look to a recon light which i think are a bit cheesy. Make sure you sand between coats and shoot it with clear to finish it off otherwise the VHT will turn chalky.

#10 ·
Can someone make a pretty detailed right-up on each step it takes to tint your tail lights/3brake light yourself?I really want to tint mine but dont want to screw up.

#16 ·
This is the process I used to do my side markers on my Trans Am. One of the members over on LS1Tech did this write up. Keep in mind all this is for a Trans Am so amount needed may be different for the truck.

Difficulty: Easy
Time: 1-2 hours application. (A lot of downtime waiting for it to dry.) + 6 Hours for final dry.

Tools needed:
(2) Cans VHT Nite-Shade (summit racing)
** Note: 2 Cans are recommended so that you dont run out in mid project, however you may not need the 2nd can, the amount used varys per application. In situation, I used both to the last drop. I'd say play it safe for the extra $10. **
(1) 3m Scuff Pad (advance auto)
(1) Can Clear Coat (BIG_MIKE Suggests Duplicolor Truck/SUV Clear Coat, the generic crap I used started to fade in about a year, so apply generous coats and use quality stuff! Let me know if you've used anything you'd recommend for long lasting shine.) ... lol I sounded like a bad infomercial.
(1) Windex / Similar Product
(1) Microfiber (recommended but not mandatory)

Steps:
1) Remove parts to be blacked out.

2) Clean all parts with windex and microfiber.

3) Scuff with 3M Scuff pad to prep surface.

4) Wipe excess dust with microfiber.

5) Place 2-piece items side by side, (ie taillights, passenger side corners... etc.)

6) Spray even short bursts across both items as if they were one item to ensure even coating.

7) Wait until the Nite Shades becomes tacky and repeat until desired darkness is reached ( I used about 6, but coat thickness varies, so dont use that as a gauge.)

8) Upon completion of Nite Shades wait about 30 minutes for it to semi-dry, then begin to apply clear coat spray. *Note: When I applied the first coat, I lost most gloss of the nite shades, dont be discouraged, wait til tacky and apply again, repeat until shine is restored.*

9) Wait roughly 6 hours before putting parts back in their original place on vehicle.

#11 ·
I used Rust Oleum Touch up CC 1000 Clear. Seems good so far but I just did mine 2 weeks ago so only time will tell.

#12 ·
I just installed the recon tail lights on my truck this evening. I like the led lights but I don't care for the dated look it gives the rear end of the truck. If I sprayed my stock lights is it possible to tape over your backup lights because I hook up a lot of trailers and u can't hardly see the hitch on the nav screen. It reminds me of my 03 stock tail lights. I may be returning and going your route. I like the smoked mirror leds and clearance lights though. Oh an I installed my hornblasters today. Great addition!

#13 ·
Hopefully none of you will copy the duche bag I almost killed a couple weeks ago. Some pizza delivery boy in his old hatchback civic had his tail lights so darkly tinted that I didn't see his brake lights, or left turn signal (in the middle of the afternoon) until the nose of the bronco (at 65 mph) was within 20 feet of his rear bumper, as I was passing, and he started to turn into me. I'm sure I would've killed him if he didn't see me coming, and take serous evasive action as the bumper was pretty even with his head through the window. The tint works great, and looks nice on a lot of rigs, but there's a wrong way to do it.

#17 ·
What I normally do is scuff up the tail lights with 000 steel wool

Then clean it off with an auto prep spray and then wipe down with a tack cloth

Then if anything needs to be taped off, reverse lights or anything like that, now is the time.

Then I spray on the night shades up to three coats. Depends on how dark its gonna be.

Then let it dry for an hour and wet sand with 800 and then 1500 grit.

Then clean off with water and a tack cloth

Then spray 3 coats of clear coat waiting ten minutes between coats. I have use dupli color clear and now I use a higher quality clear that gives it a much better shine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.