Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

manual transmission friendly tuning for 05 6.0

12K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  STROKER6.04LIFE 
#1 ·
I want to start out by saying that I know very little about the 6.0's which is the reason why I need some help. I need recommendations where to find tunes for a friend's truck. His truck is a six speed, six litre, bone stock, crew cab, long bed F350. Its a beautiful truck but it will not get out of its own way.

The owner wants to put a tune on it, but I don't want to see him have egr problems or headgasket issues. I believe he only wants a small tune to help it get up to speed a little faster.

I want to recommend a safe tuner, maybe something that has digital guages, but doesn't cost much over 300 to 400 dollars. That being said, I would hate to see him cheap out and have problems later with his cooling system.

I would like to see him buy an SCT from Innovative but I don't think they will be in his "price range". How much does a Livewire setup usually cost from Eric with a custom tune or two.

I guess we could always look into a used Banks setup for a cheap, reliable, small boost in power, but again I want to see him get something as safe as possible for the notorious six leaker.

See less See more
#3 ·
Another good point. I have already made him aware of that possiblilty. I think he just wants a little better throttle response without being too touchy, and a power boost without breaking anything.

His truck is such a dog, it has to be detuned a lot because I have driven a few other stock 6.0's with autos, and none of them run like this turd.

#5 ·
then tell him to leave it alone....or tell him to expect thing to happen....there is no middle....even stock trucks fail...

...mind as well pump up the power....hope for the best...and have fun with it.

I know you are trying to help, but I am aware that #### happens and things break, even on stock rigs.

I am just saying a 40-60 horse towing tune shouldn't mess up too much and the clutch should hold it for the most part. Hes not trying to drive around on 40's and stock gearing.

#6 ·
ive ran the banks:doh::doh: had it on for about 20k miles before i saw the light and switched to sct.. have had the sct running either x-race or x-street for the last 30k miles with the exception of when im towing. still running stock clutch.. tank just doesnt know how to drive a standard that well:poke:LOLLOL.. but as he mentioned if you play you take a chance to PAY!!! but it is definitely worth the chances

#7 ·
Well if your friend only has $400 to play with tell him to save up his money alittle longer. That way he can get a nice tuner with some custom tunes, exhaust and some gauges to monitor everything.

You wouldn't believe how many people start out with "I just want alittle better throttle response and passing power" that end up blowing their sh!t up.

#8 ·
No, he is a cheap azz, he doesn't even want to buy gauges. I recommended that he just leave it stock, until I drove the truck and realized that it is really as slow as he said it was. It is almost dangerous to drive because it won't get up to speed worth a damn. You pretty much hold it to the floor and shift and repeat until you reach the desired speed. Not fun to drive at all.

He cut the muffler out of it, and it doesn't even have the normal 6.0 cackle. Its just too mellow.

#12 ·
sounds like he still has the cat on.. te;ll him to take that off also it will sound better... it will sound even better when it is tuned.. i always have to roll the back right window down when im running x race so i can hear it better LOL

#13 ·
I will take a closer look at it the next time I'm around it. But the sound doesn't really concern me at this point.

I am really just trying to keep the dummy from buying a cheap, off the shelf programmer and try to run it without guages.

What other programmers have a monitor and might be able to be purchased for around $400 new or used? Would an Edge be decent? How about Banks or an SCT with the base programming?

If there isn't such a thing out there, then I will tell him that and recommend (again) that he should leave it stock. The truck only has 40,000 miles on it and he is talking about selling it in favor of a gas burner because it doesn't have any power. I would hate to see him sell it and pick up a truck payment, when his current truck should live forever on a small tune and cause no reliablilty issues, and should keep up with about any gas burner on the road.

#14 ·
I put a SCT X3 , s&b intake, MBRP exhaust and a edge insight on mine all for about $1600.00 . Best money i have ever spent .

#16 ·
Most of our manual customers run our Street, Tow, and Tow with braking. The Xtreme programs can be tough on the clutch, if you aren't careful.

I always stress not to lug the truck in the high power programs...or any program for that matter. It causes unneeded stress on the gaskets and drivetrain. Lay low on the burn outs, 3rd gear clutch slipping pulls, and you'll be good to go. LOL

#18 ·
Well this guy drives like a grandpa, so hopefully we won't have to worry about the clutch. He ordered the truck from Ford and maintains it meticulously. Its paid off now so I think he can afford to get the best for his ride even if he doesn't agree. The way it sits now, I honestly don't think it will spin the tires if you rev it to the limiter and dump the clutch so something has to be done about that.

If you don't mind, send me a pm with some of your pricing on a livewire with your tunes, or a xcal 2 or 3 with a set of guages. I will do my best to send his business to you, just because of your reputation. I don't want to waste your time though if he decides he won't spend more than his original 300- 400 dollar amount.

#25 ·
I haven't been around enough stock 6speed 6.0's to tell ya if its down on power or not. The owner ordered the truck from Ford back in 04 or 05 and has put 40,000 miles on it. Still runs the same as it did from the factory. The truck is unmolested except for a leveling kit, larger tires on stock wheels, and muffler delete.

The truck just doesn't seem to want to move until you get it over 2500-3000 rpms. Its runs nothing like my 7.3's.

#24 · (Edited)
I run IDP's street tune full time , perfect for city or highway . Tow's good up to around 10k. 18.5 mpg on last 285 mile trip avg 70-75 mph with a little stop and go traffic . ( no trailer , about 600 lbs in bed)

#26 ·
I have a pretty much stock 2003 6.0 with a 6in lift and 35in tires. Ive run it with tuners on it and it ran really good. I didn't have any problem with the clutch wanting to slip. Now Im running stock and it still runs good, not like with the tuner on it but still good. To me it sounds like your friends truck has something else wrong with it. You say that it doesn't want to move until you get over 2500-300 rpms. Does it seem like the turbo is really laggy? Does it smoke at all while hes getting on it?

#27 ·
First of all if the truck is as slow as you make it sound there is something wrong. While not a "racer" it should not be deathly slow. My 6 speed, while not quite as quick as an auto, certainly has no trouble getting out of its own way when stock.

As for tuning I run Innovative's Street tune all the time. Good power and overall just runs good. 40K miles witht this tune and no issues.(knocking on wood, A LOT) REALLY helps with the lag. Any more power than the Street tune though and a stock clutch will not be liking it!!

#30 ·
I have a 6.0 with a 6 speed. It sounds to me like his truck has some problems. I've never had a problem geting up to speed stock. I would have it tested for codes if no codes I guess he got a limon. But I have ran a SCT with no custome tunes. They are fine to run with a 6 speed. They will give him that little power he is looking for. They cost like 349.00. Sometimes even cheeper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.