P0683 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

P0683

Have the glow plug module fault code P0683, Where do I start???, Is there a relay or fuse that I am missing??

03 6.0 8" Dick Cepek suspension,PJ Dirt Grip 37X14.50X16 mounted on Polished DC-1, 3 1/2" exhaust with 4" core glasspack,Frantz TP Bypass,Bullydog Triple with outlook and AEM Brute Force intake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Will Iott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 09:07 PM
PSN Newb

Re: P0683

Subscribed... same code two days ago. I'm searching everywhere and can't find a decent procedure to replace Glow Plugs. I need pictures. Good Luck!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 11:49 PM
PSN Local

P0683 is a faulty glow plug controll module about 99% of the time. There is a very long pinpoint test to determine this (i have a known good one that i use to check them)....But i would say if it was my truck and i didnt have any real way of testing it, id be pretty comforatable saying that replacing the module would more than likely fix your problem

The module is the little silver box on the front of the passenger valve cover.

NHRDA Region 2 Race Director

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 02:04 AM
PSN Newb

Snap! I just realized that my code is a P0673, not P0683.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 02:52 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komelika View Post
Snap! I just realized that my code is a P0673, not P0683.
P0673 is cylender number three glow plug code. 90% of the time its the glow plug. Every once in a while you see a glow plug module fail on only one cylender though. Easiest way to test is to pull the number three glow plug and measure the resistance. One probe needs to go on the top little metal part that the harness snaps over....and the other one needs to to be touching the threads. Resistance should be less than 1 ohm. If the glow plug is bad, replace it. If it is good, its probably the module (its rare to see a wiring issue but its always possible.)

NHRDA Region 2 Race Director

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 04:14 AM
PSN Veteran

Make sure you get the correct size glow plug, they changed length in between the years, putting the wrong size in will definetly not be good!!!

2004 F-350 SC LB 4x4
6spd manual transmission
Edge Juice w/attitude
Scangauge II by Linear Logic
Straight pipe exhaust
Westin Bull Bar
Lights
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 01:39 PM
PSN Newb

Its getting warmer here so the glow plugs shouldn't effect starting for a while. I'm thinking about waiting until the fall and just replacing all the glow plugs at the same time. I'd hate to replace one and have another fail shortly after. If I replace all of them then hopefully I will get another 100K out of them before having to worry again. Just have to drive around with a check engine light on until then. We'll see.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 12:26 AM
PSN Newb

I know old post but I have same problem is it safe to drive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode