Having trouble again with ICP sensor - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Weatherlite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Having trouble again with ICP sensor

Ok guys here we go again I have a early 03 f350 6.0 back in March of this year I had trouble with ICP sensor and the pig tail I changed all that out put new injectors truck ran great all summer long no problems. Yesterday I ran it about 20 minutes and it started acting up then died. I put a scanner on it and got a p2287 code for ICP. My question is what are the odds of 2 ICP sensors going out within 11/2 yrs. Both sensors were oem from ford dealer, is this a common problem with them or should I be looking for something else.
Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 02:18 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage
Re: Having trouble again with ICP sensor

Ford ICP sensors don't tend to go bad easily, but there have been a few which went out fairly quickly, and a couple folks who had one dead right from the dealer. The code you're getting is intermittent signal from the ICP. This COULD be caused by a bad ICP or even a bad ECM, but it's far more likely a wiring issue. Since you put a new pigtail on it, I would start there. Inspect your solder job and make sure no water got into the connections and caused corrosion. Check the connector....are the pins straight? Are the barrels which go over the pins widened out? Is the rubber spacer which keeps the pins separated in there? If those seem good, inspect your harness. It will suck, but you'll probably have to take the tape and wire looms off to get in and find the wires, so I would check the obvious rub points first before I went digging into the loom.

Having said all that, it's odd that your truck died. Generally this type of code causes things to run like crap, then run well, run like crap, run well, and so on. Try starting your truck. If it does start, wait until it dies and try starting it again. At whatever point it doesn't start, unplug the ICP and try starting it. If it starts up every time and runs well with the ICP unplugged, the ICP is bad. I have had this happen on my ex's truck. Nothing made sense. It had the same code, but the FICM wasn't doing a buzz test properly, and it wouldn't start. This was on a brand new Ford ICP. Pulled the connector and she started right up. Plugged it in and she died. Pulled the ICP and there was a direct short between two pins, and when you shook it you could hear something rattle and watch the meter fluctuate a little from the dead short to open. I put the old ICP (which was leaking oil) back in and it's worked fine ever since.

BTW, yes, that's a royal pain to get to the ICP on an '03 repeatedly, so you may want to consider a couple relocation ideas. The first, which I have not tried yet but have seen pics of, is to get a high pressure hose made with the correct fitting so that one end plugs into the HPOP cover and the other allows the ICP to fit. You then extend the wiring harness. Now you can access it easily. What I have done on several trucks is install a connector in the ICP AND IPR wiring, just behind the FICM. This way, I can disconnect the ICP relatively easily if I need to test that, and can remove both wiring harnesses without trying to reach back into the abyss. Has saved me a ton of time and effort!
Rcjetsaok likes this.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks Weatherlite for that I will definitely go back and recheck everything I have done. I will let y'all know if I find problem.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 12:23 PM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherlite View Post
If it starts up every time and runs well with the ICP unplugged, the ICP is bad.
I'm new here, so, just asking. Since the ICP tells the computer what the HP oil pressure is, and, with the ICP unplugged, the computer just "assumes" the HP oil is "ok but unknown", I don't think unplugging the ICP and running is proof of a bad ICP. Couldn't there be a real HP oil issue behind all of this? HPOP/DummyPlugs/injectorSeal/etc?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 01:29 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimnv View Post
I'm new here, so, just asking. Since the ICP tells the computer what the HP oil pressure is, and, with the ICP unplugged, the computer just "assumes" the HP oil is "ok but unknown", I don't think unplugging the ICP and running is proof of a bad ICP. Couldn't there be a real HP oil issue behind all of this? HPOP/DummyPlugs/injectorSeal/etc?
Having a bad ICP sensor doesn't mean you still can't have a problem in the high pressure oil system. Weatherlite isn't saying that.

It is a very good test to unplug the ICP sensor to see if that enables a start that otherwise wasn't happening. If you are able to start w/ it unplugged, that does indicate a problem w/ the sensor or connector.

Another way to confirm a bad sensor, is to get the sensor voltage data. The ICP voltage is a parameter (PID) in the PCM that is retrievable just like the pressure value is.

Once you have an accurate ICP pressure value, you can watch the IPR% duty cycle and the ICP pressure and get an idea if something is an issue in the high pressure oil system.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode