Slow building ICP after HG install - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Slow building ICP after HG install

Sooo, blew my HG a few months back and got a big trip coming up, so decided I needed to get the truck taken care of.

Last year I had HG, studs, oil cooler, ege welded up, standpipes and dummies, stc update and I had my heads checked and reinstalled.

So, this time around, I opted for oringed heads, gaskets, injector seals, glow plugs, a full egr delete, up pipe, y pipe.

Everything went fairly smooth, cranked for 20 seconds with the starter cable, jumped in the truck watched my x4 and cranked for another 15-20seconds and icp hit 500psi, fires off. Let it idle for about 15-20seconds only because I don't have water in the truck yet. Shut it off, and went to fire back up, and with 5 seconds of cranking she's running again.

Let it sit for about 30 minutes, go back to crank it, and the ICP builds slowly to 500psi, like 15-20seconds and fires off. And when I shut the truck down, I can see the ICP pressure drops off slowly.

So question is, is this normal? I'm getting a new serpentine belt today, and throwing it in. (Currently have old one installed) so I still haven't let the truck idle for more than 20 seconds because I don't want it to get hot. If it's normal, then I'll throw the fan and water etc on, and give it a drive. But if it's not and I have to dig in, I'd rather not make that coolant mess in the garage again.

Btw. This is a 2005 F250 6.0 Powerstroke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Go drive it.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yea, from what I'm seeing, if I do have a HPO leak, I can probably tend to it even with the cooling fan and radiator lines in place. I'll get that new belt put on and fill the radiator up to drive it into town today. If it's an HPO leak, I think it's safe to assume.its going to be under the valve covers since the stc fitting was replaced already last year and I had ZERO hard start issues before I ripped it down.

I just didn't know if it was a common thing for the ICP to build slowly when cold until the truck has been "primed" after a tear down.

I'll report back when I give it a good test run.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Drove it around a good bit today, probably about 3hrs total run time. Hot starts are perfectly normal, WOT I was able to see 3700psi, but it was wet out and all the truck wanted to do was spin the tires, so idk if that reduces load on the engine, thus reducing the icp pressure?

I will go out and start the truck up again in a couple hours and see how it does. It runs okay, but I do feel like an injector or two are shuddering here or there. Don't hear anything abnormal when idling, other than I think I may have bent something in the exhaust and it rattles intermittently somewhere between the bed and the cab.

Idling ICP is around 550psi, duty cycle is at .25? But is that actual because the xct x4 doesnt give me an format (psi, map, volts, etc) for that monitor.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:51 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage
Re: Slow building ICP after HG install

I'd say you're good. Your initial problem was because it can take 30 minutes of run time to clear all the air out. That's going to affect your ability to build pressure. Driving for a few hours cleared it all out. Your 3700 is a good number...pretty much anything from 3000-4000 is acceptable, but yes, tires slipping can affect load and reduce pressure.

As for your idle numbers, that looks right. The .25 is your voltage I believe. My truck idles around 560-570, so your pressure is good. I would invest in an OBDII bluetooth adapter and install an app like TorquePro to monitor some of these numbers.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So day 2 of driving it, truck fires up pretty much on par with before the HG job if not faster. But I do notice a slight vibration from the motor. It happens in neutral or running, most notable around 1000-1300rpms, but can feel it throughout the rpm range.

Is that normal after a HG job, or should I be concerned and start digging back in to find an issue?

Another thing I noticed was when I did the first "dry cranking" with just the starter wire, I noticed a small "lope" in the cranking it wasnt SUPER smooth. I dont notice it now when I crank the truck up, but wondering if maybe that was a bent pushrod, and now this vibration is a symptom?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

And truck doesn't really seem to lack power that I've noticed. But then again, I really haven't hit the pedal too hard in the past couple months due to the HG.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Soo, just to update, if anybody is having similar problems. The slow to build ICP pressure simply went away with driving, really was a non-issue and was just air in the HPO system.

I did rip back into the passenger side valve cover to hunt down a slight clanking noise, found a push rod that was bent slightly but not really enough to cause any issues. I replaced the push rod and put it all back together.

Also noticed that there was an extra empty jugs of oil in my trash can, spoke with my brother who helped me refill the fluids and it seems there was a miscommunication when we were filling the oil. There ended up being 25qts of oil in the motor! I drained 15qts, and refilled according to the dipstick.

Started the motor and now you can't even feel the motor anymore. Everything seems back to normal. thanks for the input.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 12:16 PM
"resident smarty pants"

An overfull oil level will cause rough operation also.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 01:57 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage

Oh wow....glad you figured that one out! I know too much oil can cause issues, but I don't let anyone help me so I can't blame anyone when I screw up. lol Having a helper means always double checking work. But, you figured it out!

Also, did you swap out pushrods to the 6.4 when you did the HG job, or did you stick with the stock ones? If they took off a certain amount (I don't remember how much off the top of my head....I think more than .010) then you HAVE to use the shorter pushrods. Less than that and you can usually get away with the stock ones, but don't have to. Just a thought should you wind up with another bent pushrod.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode