Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Speed sensor fault and ABS light? Ideas?

872 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Dustybumpers 
#1 ·
We went on a 700 mile road trip over the weekend towing our camper. About 300 miles into the trip, as we were driving down the highway at 65mph.....the speedo dropped to about 20mph for a second, the ABS light came on, and then the speedo jumped back to "almost" normal. The truck still drove fine after that, but it felt like we were going slower than the speedo was saying. I checked my phone GPS, and the speedo for some reason was reading about 6mph fast after the "drop to 20 and then back" episode.

When I stopped for fuel, I scanned for code....got a speed sensor fault (need to look up the number when I get home today). I reset the codes, the ABS light went away, we got back on the road...and the speedo was back to reading accurately. We never had an issue the rest of the trip.

Was this just some fluke....or is this the sign that a sensor is going bad??

#2 ·
Stuck/bouncing Speedo and/or Tach, 2006 Trucks Built Before 1-26-06:
Before diagnosing the instrument cluster for this issue, first check for codes stored in the ABS module or engine computer. If there are no relevant codes, check the vehicle speed input to the cluster while stopped. If the input and the displayed speed do not match, drive the vehicle and monitor the speedometer at 0, 20, 40 and 60 MPH as indicated on the scan tool. If the speedometer is off by more than 5 MPH, replace the cluster. If the speedometer display matches the sensor input, diagnose the ABS rear axle speed sensor and wiring, and the ABS module wiring. For tachometer concerns, check the RPM signal in the engine computer against the tach reading at 1000 and 2000 RPM. If the display is more than 250 RPM off, replace the cluster. Broadcast Message 5165, TSB 06-7-4.

In your case, start w/ the rear speed sensor.

#3 ·
My speed sensor in the rear of my e 450 was giving readings like that. When I pulled it, it was filled with metal grindings.
I changed the oil in the rear, and put in a new sensor. Never had another issue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.