2003 6.0L Hard start when hot only ( do NOT think its HPOP related ) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bismic1
  • 1 Post By Turd-250

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Unhappy 2003 6.0L Hard start when hot only ( do NOT think its HPOP related )

2006 6.0L Hard start when hot only ( do NOT think its HPOP related )

I am absolutely stumped and hope someone here can help -
Can you read great HPOP - ICP - IPR values and still have a issue like injector o rings or some other leak causing hard starts when hot ... ?
I purchased 2003 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel with 158k miles on her.
Truck was hard to start when hot ,,,, but I really loved the truck soooo ( how hard can it be to fix - lol) right,,,, wrong Ö
IF it was the HPOP I would not have purchased , I am STILL sure it is not injectors or HPOP But I have reached the end of my knowledge :

Current state of truck is -
-Truck starts fast EVERY time after sitting over night, Truck runs PERFECT after starting.
I have driven her about 1000 miles, pulled trailer , u name it - after truck starts it will run perfect all day , every day,
- Truck will take about 5 or 6 tries of cranking 10 seconds or so before it will start when hot after sitting about 15 minutes or longer, If you turn it off when hot and start it within a few seconds it will start right up

I have verified the following data:
Using a Bluetooth ELM and Torque I have gathered the following data AND I also performed the following work:

- FICM Sync is 0 when not running and not cranking, BUT is 1 even when cranking away and not starting,

- FICM Main Power is 48.1 v when cranking away and starting ( PS: I got a used FICM and swapped mine out and did NOT fix it so put my original back on )

- Battery voltage is usually 11.9 but sometimes drops to 10.9 ( rare ) - only when cranking never when running

- ICP usually around .2 when cranking and fluctuates from there to 2.0 and higher sometimes ( ICP sensor looks new and no oil leaking back there - bone dry -

- IPR usually 25%- 35% when cranking away and NEVER lower than 22% or higher than 60% ( PS : guy I bought it from said he replaced the IPR valve trying to fix and it does look new also )

- HPOP Pressure reads 600 - 1000 psi when cranking away and as high as 3000 when rolling down the road 80 mph smooth as can be with a IPR sitting like 35%

- Coolant and EOT NEVER more than 15 degrees difference and I have NEVER seen the oil temp over 100 degrees ever - even when it was 85 degrees out and I was driving highway

- RPM usually around 150 to 160 rpms when cranking and sounds strong when cranking away,

- I installed a Fuel pressure sensor permanent with a cheep gauge inside and when cranking away I have about 47 psi - when running I have about 50 psi ( replaced both fuel filters ) ( note - they both looked brand new )

- I performed the ( bubbles ) test and there is NO bubbles in the upper fuel filter - little filter - bowl

- Never ever uses coolant -
- Never added oil in 100 miles -

WORK I Personally performed -
- Ford Motor craft filter and Oil change
- Swapped FICM
- Performed Blue spring upgrade on fuel pump regulator
- replaced both fuel filters with motor craft and performed blue spring upgrade
- replaced air filter ( was not that bad )

Work I was told was done a while -
- head gaskets and studs - ( I can see there are studded head bolts )
- EGR eliminated ( I can see there is still the stock riser in but was told it was welded )
- New Oil cooler 20k ago ( I never see more than 15 degrees variance between EOT and Coolant ) - oil never gets over 100 degrees

I am stumped !!!!!

- unrelated -
replaced brakes front -
shocks front -
shocks rear -
sway bar links front -
leaf spring bushings full set front -
tires all around -
blue top steering box -
picked up a red matching cab on craigslist for 300 bucks -

Truck looks great BUT man im at the end of my rope,,, I don't know what to try next ----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 04:48 PM
PSN Veteran

Right off the bat you have an issue with your EOT sensor. Fix that first and see if it makes a difference.

Your ECT and EOT should be a minimum if 190* when up to temperature.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 2003 6.0L Hard start when hot only ( do NOT think its HPOP related )

OK:
Tonight I took a series of pics -
1 through 4 in the order I took them from the first no when start of the evening to the las which is a running down the road 70 mph hot pic.
The BIG note here is what is NOT in the pics,,
I kept my eyes on the RPMs the 3rd try of the evening and the RPMs steadily climbed from 140rpms to 158rpms - and when it got to the 158 rpm mark it started ) this could have been a coincidence BUT,,,,, I remember what you said about starting rpms.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: 1-- 1st time- Cranking when hot 10 second mark.jpg Views: 0 Size: 275.4 KB ID: 723707 Click image for larger version Name: 2 -- 2nd time Crank when hot 10 seconds Mark.jpg Views: 1 Size: 499.7 KB ID: 723709 Click image for larger version Name: 4 -- 70 mph when hot.jpg Views: 1 Size: 520.5 KB ID: 723711 Click image for larger version Name: 3-- 3 try Cranking when hot 10 second mark.jpg Views: 0 Size: 497.1 KB ID: 723713

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

See the thumb nails:
PS been to autozone and both batteries - test good , 12.4 v disconnected from each other and the load tester showed both good at 750 cca
also noticed a couple long cranks that ended up cranking away at 162 rpms...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-- 1st time- Cranking when hot 10 second mark.jpg (11.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2 -- 2nd time Crank when hot 10 seconds Mark.jpg (11.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 3-- 3 try Cranking when hot 10 second mark.jpg (11.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 4 -- 70 mph when hot.jpg (12.0 KB, 8 views)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 03:07 AM
PSN Newb - Lurker

I have to ask, have you tried the starter?
I had an old Toyota with a starter that was starting to fail. It didnít like starting when hot. Upgrading to the 6.4 starter might help.
(Maybe Iím off track. If so, I apologize. Itís been a long day.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 03:29 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

after all the work that's been done to the truck, a 6.4 starter is very fitting! I bet you'll notice the difference immediately. plus you'll get to swap the pass side block drian plug with a fumoto valve if you're into that sort of thing :p

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 03:32 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

a couple weird & possible unrelated questions that might help...
1. did you try unplugging the ICP when it's not starting up?
2. and what are the cranking rpms when cols/sitting over night? i'm thinking about those cranking rpms like you mentioned above...

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 04:44 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd-250 View Post
after all the work that's been done to the truck, a 6.4 starter is very fitting! I bet you'll notice the difference immediately. plus you'll get to swap the pass side block drian plug with a fumoto valve if you're into that sort of thing :p
Nice post! A 6.4 starter would help a bunch.

chatvmax - as I posted on the ORG, I also suspect something w/ the original FICM since you don't have a fuel pulse width signal on those "no start" screens.
Turd-250 likes this.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 01:52 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

thanky thanky!

original FICM you say?!?!? if'n you end up needing a new FICM, I highly recommend FICMRepair.com for either just a software tweak or a whole rebuild. The Atlas 40 tune with a fresh rebuilt FICM was my birthday present to myself last year. It's awesome for a mostly stock 6.0 :p
Michael S King likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode