Air in oil filter housing - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Air in oil filter housing

Iím fooling with a 2004 6.0 and itís a no start . There is zero oil pressure on the dash gauge . I removed the oil filter cap and cranked the engine and I noticed small air bubbles and then some large air bubbles followed by some oil . Iím putting a new starter in since this one doesnít turn the engine fast enough and gets very hot very quickly. Any thoughts ?
Broken pick up tube ? Bad o ring ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:46 PM
PSN Veteran

Before you do anything else I would remove the oil pump regulator and see if there is debris in it. If there is I would remove the oil pump and check for any imprints of needle bearings and inspect the overall condition of the pump gears. It’s the Allen bolt on the passenger side of the pump housing by the balancer
longjonsilver likes this.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:46 PM
PSN intsigator

Re: Air in oil filter housing

Im going with low on oil, broken pick up tube or bad low pressure oil pump.

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Iíve seen the needle bearing failure first hand so Iím not ruling that out . The truck is being towed to the shop tomorrow or Friday. Iím going to look at it ASAP . I just wanted a head start so to speak on diag . Iím fooling with a B model 3406 thatís leaking fuel and Sterling road tractor that has some AC problem . Thanks for the input and Iíll keep yíall posted .

jamiesaun likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 03:40 PM
PSN Veteran

Any updates?

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewd11 View Post
Any updates?

Ok I finally got to the shop to look at this thing . Found it 8 quarts low on oil so I added oil , replaced the starter as well . I then removed the oil pressure relief valve and it was clean as a whistle. The engine turns over much faster but the batteryís need charged . I burned up my alternator in my service truck . Still have air in the system when cranking while the oil filter cap is off . Another observation is that the oil filter is never soaked in oil regardless of how long you crank it . Is there a possibility of a messed up drain valve in the bottom of the oil filter housing . I can crank the engine long enough that the oil will overflow out of the housing with cap and filter removed .

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Ok I finally got to the shop to look at this thing . Found it 8 quarts low on oil so I added oil , replaced the starter as well . I then removed the oil pressure relief valve and it was clean as a whistle. The engine turns over much faster but the batteryís need charged . I burned up my alternator in my service truck . Still have air in the system when cranking while the oil filter cap is off . Another observation is that the oil filter is never soaked in oil regardless of how long you crank it . Is there a possibility of a messed up drain valve in the bottom of the oil filter housing . I can crank the engine long enough that the oil will overflow out of the housing with cap and filter removed .

Bet this has something to do with it ...

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:36 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Looks to me like you have a tall oil filter cap. If you have an OEM oil filter and a tall cap, you NEVER will close the filter housing drain valve.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic1 View Post
Looks to me like you have a tall oil filter cap. If you have an OEM oil filter and a tall cap, you NEVER will close the filter housing drain valve.

Thatís what I was thinking . Iíll go pick up a different oil filter tomorrow and retest .

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:54 PM
"resident smarty pants"

If I were you I would buy an OEM oil filter cap and an OEM oil filter.

Your cap clearly says to NOT re-use and I bet it was re-used.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode