Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Need advice about studding

717 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bismic1 
#1 ·
Hi
My truck is a 2006 6.0 with everything done (egr delete, stc fiting, pipe, injector, ficm etc) head gasket was change by previous owner BUT with stock head bolt and now 15k km later head gasket blown again.
+
Truck have a street tune and alot of parts was changed like turbo y-pipe etc so the only thing is it need to be studded and new gasket

I ran the truck with a blown head gasket for 4-5k km but long story short my truck was stolen last friday, the guy ran my truck at wot and i did not know if he overheated my engine. Truck was found by the police on sunday. I tested my truck after that and it seem to run like before it was stolen..

So here my question
Do you think it worth studding my truck after having running with blown head gasket and how to know if the engine overheated or have been damaged by running at wot with blown gasket ?
And engine is at 310 000km what about the piston life ?

#2 ·
If it were my truck, I would tear it apart and actually look at the pistons, cylinder walls, etc to determine if your engine was abused to the point of damage, and if things were ok I'd do headgaskets, studs, and get on with my life. They're pretty tough, so you probably won't find anything. If things are good, have the heads checked by a reputable machine shop and then "shaved straight" if needed. Also, I would do a self-straightening of the block mating surface. If things are damaged though, I might be pulling the block for the machine shop to work on instead, depending on how bad things were.

#3 ·
Boy, that really puts the "drive it like you stole it" mentality into perspective eh? I'm with Weatherlite- if you were already planning to have the headstuds done anyway, it's worth having the engine torn down for a proper inspection, seeing as the majority of the work in doing the studs is in the teardown process anyway. Better to know before it's reassembled.

For what it's worth, a simple way to get a better idea of just how much idiot-driving it received would be to see how much coolant is left in it, assuming it was full of coolant before it was stolen. And of course check to see if it's consuming oil as well.

#4 ·
Update !!

I did the HG and stud with the cab on, was realy easy and i dont understand why people doesn’t remove the HVAC box on passenger side it make soo much room ! I did that in a driveway standing on a bucket lol and it still was much easier than what ive heard

In the same time i did proof that you CAN run the truck with a blown HG for a very long time, mine was very clean no mark on cylinder or piston no crack on the head

I still think the 6.0 is the best engine ive ever own ! Fun, fast with boost !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.