Random rough idle!! Help!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Random rough idle!! Help!!

My truck has been running great for the last year or so with no issues. I just happen to be 14 hours away from home this week with my family and our camper. Yesterday when we were just driving the truck around town, I came to a stop and noticed that the idle seemed a little higher than it should be.... strange. Took off from the light, and as I was cruising down the road and let off the gas the motor started idling super rough....chug, chug, chug. I got back on th gas....th motor smoothed out.....and no other issues all the way back to the camp site.

Unfortunately I didn't have my monitor hooked up at the time, but I did hook it up as soon as I got back to the campsite. Everything looks fine....IPR volts, hpop pressures, ficm voltage etc, etc. I scanned the ECU for codes... nothing, everything showing good.

I've put a few more miles on the truck since the funky rough idle incident...and haven't had any problems, but with a 14 hour drive home coming up this weekend with the camper....I'm nervous as hell.

Could it have just been some random fluke? Anything else I need to check??

Thanks for the help!!

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:06 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage
Re: Random rough idle!! Help!!

I've always heard that an ICP sensor is usually the culprit for this sort of thing, and that it could be the sensor going out or could just be a bad connection to it. I'd at least check your connection for loose wires, oil in the connector, loose pins, etc. Other than that, I don't really have anything for you. Sorry.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the info. Yes, the that sensor was my first thought also. It's an OEM Ford sensor...and it's only a year old. I've put 20 miles on the truck since the funky idle thing....no issues as of yet. If it acts up again I guess I will see what my icp readings are. Thanks!

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well, I'm 10 hours into my 14 hour drive pulling my camper. It did the weird chug chug idle thing to me as I was pulling out of the campground and stopped before getting on the road. The IRP rate (icp voltage) on my torque pro monitor setup was jumping around between 25 and 33%...usually it idles right at 22.8% once it's warmed up.

After that one time....it never acted up the rest of the day....all 10 hours of highway driving and getting off the interstate for fuel.

The ICP sensor is pretty new, and the plug is new with no oil on it (indicating a bad sensor). Could it be a problem with the IRP? Maybe it's sticking at the lower oil pressures?? I've had a bad ICP sensor before.....but when it went bad, it was bad....this is random.

ICP sensor? IPR? Could it be anything else??

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherlite View Post
I've always heard that an ICP sensor is usually the culprit for this sort of thing, and that it could be the sensor going out or could just be a bad connection to it. I'd at least check your connection for loose wires, oil in the connector, loose pins, etc. Other than that, I don't really have anything for you. Sorry.
Are the ICP sensors more prone to give issues at idle, that an part and heavy throttle? The only time I had issues, was when off the gas...and rolling up to a stop light. The 14 hours drive home went fine...no issues at all. I haven't been able to duplicate the issue again....even after moving the wiring all around, and tapping on the sensor a little bit.

Everything seems fine now.....I don't like problems like that, it makes me nervous to drive the truck for any long distance not knowing if it could act up again.

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 08:23 PM
PSN Newb

Could be an injector going, mine was doing the same thing and then #6 went, showed short in wiring but turned out to be failed coils.
It was a BWD injector swapped out awhile ago, at least it was under warranty, the new injector was a BWD but a Sure Power reman.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well....the truck has been running fine, until today. I was driving along, and let off the gas as I was coming over a hill on the way to to my house. I was going around 35mph....with the windows down so I could here the motor pretty well. All of a sudden when I had my foot off of the gas pedal, it was like I quickly tapped the throttle with my foot, just a quick little rev......all on it's own. Very odd........

At this point...should I just go a spend $125 on a new ICP sensor and swap it out? It's such a random issue, I have no way of really tracking it down, or troubleshooting it.

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

**UPDATE**

Well, I put in a new ICP sensor just for the heck of it. It's been a few weeks, and several hundred miles....and more more random "funky idle for a couple of seconds" type issues.......until today.

So, same as before.....I'm on the highway driving along. I let off the gas as I get off at the exit and start slowing down. And the motor does that "chug,chug,chug" type idle for 2-3 seconds.......and then it goes away and idles smoothly. It happened to fast, I couldn't catch any of the readings on the HPOP, ICP, IPR off of my Torque PRO app. Scanned the truck again with both Torque pro and Forscan...nothing. All it good.

It's frustrating tracking down stuff like this. I wish it would happen all the time, or do it when I'm at home and can spend some time looking at all the PID's.....but it only goes it when I'm out on the road, and just for a couple of seconds . Very odd.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:51 AM
PSN intsigator

My 96 is doing kinda this but it will die but restart. But doesn't die all the time just whenever I'm not watching the gauges

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage

Wish I had an answer! I mean I REALLY wish, because then I might be able to fix mine. lol I had a random lope quite some time ago. Thought I had fixed it. Came back the other day for about 20 minutes and is gone now, with no data to show WHY....everything looked normal. Only thing that was odd, but made sense since the RPMs were jumping a couple hundred RPM, was the ICP would rise a little bit when the engine revved. So yeah, these engines can be a real PITA at times. I've resigned to the fact that some things we just have to live with unless we want to bring it to a pro or spend ridiculous amounts of money chasing sparks. lol

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode