6.0 f350 turbo failure - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
6.0 f350 turbo failure

Found mainly non ferrous motor in oil on change? Truck has 215k but was running perfect, 2 months ago had head studs , oil cooler egr delete, edge evolution tuner, blue spring, ficm, and coolant filer by mishimoto Polly can't remember off the top of my head without going through receipts. Just wanting advice on next step(currently have turbo off and stripped all the way to the valley), should I pull valve covers and or heads ? Gonna pull ipr and ipc tomorrow, just got the sockets in. Anyone had this happen or seen it? Thanks everyone just really need some help and already shelled out 15000 grand in last year on the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
Re: 6.0 f350 turbo failure

Also meant to ask opinions on whether the mechanic had something to do with it but he's very highly rated and head mechanic at main shop in local area but he worked on mine at home.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:52 AM
PSN Local

So you found aluminum dust (non ferrous metal) in the oil? So you think it's coming from the turbo...so you pull the turbo off. Then you pull some other stuff off and are now going to pull the IPR and IPC out?

I don't understand why you are doing all of that........can you give some more details? Some more explanation on what's going on?

Also......what did you spend $15K in repairs on?? That's more than the truck is worth.

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Didn't spend 15k on just the truck I have had the truck a year the tags expired sitting in my shop last week I paid 9 and the second week I had it standpipes went and that was almost 2 grand and 2 weeks cause Ford couldn't diagnose it properly. Started bulletproofing in March and it's been one thing after another, now I'm waiting on a $1300 turbo. I'm a lineman and hurricane season is coming up and I won't be home, so I'm trying to get the damn thing healthy. Don't wanna give up on it and go to payments at all!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

And the aluminum was mainly external behind the turbo in the valley, 95% internal was golden non ferrous shavings.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:55 PM
PSN Local

So what's your actual question? I'm still trying to figure out what (and why) you are doing to your motor.

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:02 PM
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljutic13 View Post
And the aluminum was mainly external behind the turbo in the valley, 95% internal was golden non ferrous shavings.
Those were probably bronze from the bushings of the turbine shaft.

I wouldn't worry too much. Anything metal should get trapped in the filter.

The bad news is it goes through the pump and cooler before the filter. Still, I wouldn't worry about it man. Just put another turbo in it and let her rip. Just make sure it was actually the turbo that went bad.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Thank you jamiesaun, and Ya it's for sure the turbo my pics are all on my wife's phone I'll try to upload when she gets here, and you asked for details my question was if anyone has had experience with this problem but you gave me more questions,1 preventive maintenance, 2 you gotta pull quite a bit to ever get turbo out and why put spent parts in when I have them out or are right in front me not blocked by harness etc. Those good enough reasons, isn't that what you do when stuff fails is go through trying to figure out why it failed. The turbo had plenty of oil wasn't stock I have receipt from original owner on reman turbo so I hope it was a failure on they're end and not the truck. Got a stage 1.5 showing up Wednesday and I don't wanna have another one go down. Thanks again J
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:24 PM
Master BS'er

No problem.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:04 PM
PSN Local

OK, not I'm understanding. You want to know what else you should do when you are already down in the motor putting the new turbo on.

If you have already down the stand pipes, but not the dummy plugs...I would do those.

If you have already put new head gaskets and stud in, I wouldn't mess with pulling the heads off...not sure what that would get you.

At this point, if everything is running good...I would just put the new turbo on it, and run it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode