2000rpm and up misfire - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

2000rpm and up misfire

Any info will be appreciated. I have a 06 f250 with the 6.0. while in park it runs smooth from idle 725-2000 rpm. I can slowly give it throttle and as soon as it gets right at 2000 rpms, it starts missing and misfireing , sounds like one or 2 cylinders. But I can slowly bring the rpms down below 2000rpms and it clears up again. It is not throwing any codes. It also does it on the highway to. It has alot of mods including Warren injectors, bigger turbo, new injector harness, dyno tunes and plenty more. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks to any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:01 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Re: 2000rpm and up misfire

What are you using to check for codes?

Can you monitor the ICP pressure and IPR % duty cycle when it is acting up?

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I have both edge monitor and sct hand held. I can check the icp sensor and it sensor but I haven't.
Does the 6.0 have a cam sensor or just a crank sensor? I've already replaced crank sensor.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ipr sensor
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:22 PM
"resident smarty pants"

You will lose rpm signal w/ a bad crank sensor - and the truck won't start - and it will throw a crank sensor code.

You do have a cam sensor. When it is bad the truck won't start - and it will throw a bad cam sensor code.

You will lose cam/crank sync and FICM sync w/ a bad cam or crank sensor.

You can spend a lot of money on the 6.0L guessing at problems.

IMO it is injector related. That is why I am interested in the ICP and IPR. Rough running at higher rpms is a classic symptom of a bad IPR valve. That said, a bad injector or two can behave this way also. It doesn't matter if the Warren injectors are new .... do some searches, they have had many of theirs go bad soon after install. The good news is they are great w/ customer service and warranty.

Neither the Edge nor the SCT (especially the SCT) are good code readers. They do not pull codes from all modules.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok thank you. At idle 725 rpms the ipr is at 34% and the icp is 770. At 2300 rpms the ipr is at 65% and the icp is at 1600-1675. Also when I get it up to the rpms when it starts misfiring, it surges up and down 100-300 rpms.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Also, the icp voltage at idle is 1.3 volts and at 2300 rpms it's at 3.3 volts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:50 PM
"resident smarty pants"

You might try running w/ the ICP sensor unplugged.

Mark
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

What will that do?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:27 AM
"resident smarty pants"

If the ICP sensor is flaky in the upper range you can get some surging. With the sensor unplugged the ICP value will be estimated by the PCM.

IMO it is most likely an injector.

ForScan Lite is a great code reader. It will retrieve codes that many other (cheap) code readers won't. It might reveal some injector codes.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode