Need help diagnosing my 6.0 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Need help diagnosing my 6.0

Hey, so this may be a long story but I am in desperate need of help.

We have 2 powerstrokes right now that both have issues. We started with a 7.3 that worked great but the issues got to be so much we figured we would buy a newer one. We got a 2006 f350 for what seemed like a deal. Worked flawlessly for almost exactly 1 year. We did regular maintenance and oil changes, fuel filter changes and such but nothing big. Then all the sudden it started smoking a bit, then more, then more. Then it started "knocking" but not like a rod knock. From what I've found I think it was an injector knock, and the color of the smoke would make me think that that is correct. Smoke is a dark grey to black and leaves a ton of soot on the ground. It was definitely over fueling and causing the smoke. At least I'm pretty sure. I pulled the egr sensor and it was sooty, but it seemed to move and seal so I cleaned it all up and put it back in. Didn't seem to make a difference. It's our work truck and we needed it so we drove it a few times when we probably shouldn't have. The smoking got worse until we ended up at a crank no start situation. Ended up getting a bluetooth scanner and torque pro to figure some things out. When doing that I found the icp sensor was bad. I unplugged it and the truck started right up, ran rough, smoked more than ever, then killed. I figured I might try to do a buzz test with car gauge pro but lo and behold it won't connect. Ordered another Bluetooth OBDII dongle Figuring my cheap one probably didn't cut it. Just got the new one and plugged it in and still CGP won't connect. But torque works fine. In CGP it will say device disconnected when trying to connect and load the ford pids. Now, I'm getting pissed at this point lol, I try connecting any way I can and nothing unless I tell it to not scan. But when I do that it doesn't load the stuff so you can do a buzz test. I've seen people do buzz tests on YouTube with CGP. Most of them are on the 7.3, but a few on the 6.0. However, on one of the reviews for the app someone said they couldn't connect to the 6.0 and the maker replied by saying it doesn't support all makes and models. So now I'm confused and mad. I go to my dad 96 grand caravan and CGP connects right away with no issues. Both torque(with Bluetooth dongle) and my Innova scanner will both connect fine to the truck and read codes, and torque will run in real time. I checked everything on the FICM with torque and everything was within parameters. That makes me think it's an injector, or multiple, causing this over fueling but it's like I can't catch a break with these damn scanners/apps. I do not have the funds to buy a more expensive scanner, nor take the truck anywhere as when it does run it makes a James bond esce smoke screen behind me.

I saw on another thread it could be one node causing communication issues maybe? But from what I have read that would mean it just flat out wouldn't connect or read codes, which is not the case.

Also, I've been working on diagnosing this damn thing for well over 5 months at this point, so if I've forgotten to mention something I've done, that's why. But I need some advice at this point.

I'm pretty sure it's one or more injector (which sucks $ wise) because I did the bubble test into the secondary fuel filter reservoir and saw bubbles under cranking with the fuel pump fuse pulled out. But I want to know which one so I don't have to blindly put in injectors.

Also, after trying to connect with Bluetooth crap for so long and having the key on I think the cylinder might be filled with fuel now. But I'm unsure. But now it won't even crank over, even with the battery charger on. It's like it's hydro locked which has me worried.

Please and thank you for the help. That's pretty much everything I can remember currently, but I know I've probably forgotten something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:01 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Re: Need help diagnosing my 6.0

If it weren't hydrolocked, you could isolate the fuel to one of the heads and then repeat the bubble test. Once you identify which side, you can pull glow plugs one-at-a-time to see if the bubbles stop.

If you are convinced it is hydrolocked, then pull the glow plugs and turn it by hand. See which cylinder the fuel (or coolant) comes out of.

Torque Pro is ok, but the ForScan App is more thorough at reading codes.

Highly recommended to install a fuel pressure sensor and gauge. Low fuel pressure easily damages injectors. Lots of threads on the options.

I bet Car Gauge Pro isn't compatible with your OBDII adapter. I hear they are finicky. I did read that CGP will work w/ BAFX adapters. I have two of those adapters (one WiFi and one Bluetooth) and Torque Pro and ForScan work with them.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok, I would believe you about it not being comparable with my Bluetooth dongle if I had only bought the one cheap one. The second one I got was after watching a guy use the exact one for this purpose on a 6.0 on YouTube. And the fact that it worked with CGP on a different vehicle.

As for low fuel pressure... What I'm thinking is happening is that the crush washers on the injector cracked and it's getting too much fuel. Not too little. Wouldn't the grey /black smoke be indicative of over fueling?

The hydro lock thing is based off of another thread I read where when your engine doesn't spin over nice and even, or sounds like it might have a dead hole, you're losing compression through the injector. Which means when you leave the key on it will allow excess fuel into the cylinder when you're just sitting there KOEO. But I'm by no means an experienced diesel mechanic, just an experienced gas mechanic haha.

But I need help haha.

To get to the glow plugs don't you basically have to get down as far as the injectors? I.e. Removing all the top end stuff and valve covers and possibly even the oil lines? I was hoping I could isolate what cylinder it was before going that far for less overall work. Maybe I can't do that, I'm just wondering.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:23 AM
"resident smarty pants"

So you know that the other vehicle and the Ford diesel operate on the same communication protocol?

CAN compatible OBDII? I doubt a 96 Caravan operates on that protocol.

When an injector fails (and it is most commonly due to low fuel pressure) it can dump a lot of fuel - even if the fuel pressure is 40 psig instead of 50. Anything below 45 psig and the injector will eventually fail due to lack of "cushion" (for lack of a better word) for the injector plunger/piston.

You can pull the glow plugs without removing anything on top.

It is easier if you remove the wheel well liners (especially on the passenger side), but you don't even have to do that.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:46 AM
"resident smarty pants"

Personally I wouldn't do any more cranking if you suspect a hydrolock (until the glow plugs are out and you have identified the problem cylinder). You can do some damage that way.

Mark
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:51 AM
"resident smarty pants"

Two ways to dump fuel. One way is a cracked injector tip (low fuel pressure is a common cause, so is water in the fuel) and the other is a failed copper compression washer (main cause is improper injector hold down torque) that then allows hot combustion gas to destroy the o-ring that seals the fuel rail.

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...tip-crack.html

Mark
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you very much, the video is very informative. His videos are basically all I've been watching through all of this. I actually got the same bluetooth adapter that he used in one video, that's why I'm confused as to why it's not talking to the truck. I'm gonna look at it a little today but don't have much time so it may be a next week project. But I'll post again when I figure some more out.

Thanks again.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:28 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Please keep us informed.

Mark
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So we got a different adapter. We got a wired unit to go to my laptop and got forscan. I have never used a program like this before. I ended up doing an injector buzz test and it checked fine for that. What else can /should I do with this application to trouble shoot?

Again, many thanks
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:38 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Was it hydrolocked or not?

Did you pull any codes w/ ForScan?

The buzz test is really only for testing the injector spool valves and FICM operation. I don't think those are your issues - especially since you see bubbles in the fuel from the "bubble test".

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode