No oil to the HPOP - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

No oil to the HPOP

I have a situation of no start that I narrowed down to no oil at the outlet of the HPOP (Please refer to my last post if you need more details). As per my last post, Here is where I am right now:

- There is no oil in the high pressure system and I am not sure why. I checked the primary engine oil and it's good since there is oil flowing to the turbo inlet ( I hooked the line and cranked until oil came out) and at the filter. I also had a hose at the ICP connection open to a small container and there was no oil coming while cranking. Assuming that the pump is good from how it looks and rotate, what could cause the no oil in the hpo rail? Or what would cause the oil not to get to the HPOP when the engine oil pressure is good?

-The other conclusion I have is the pump is bust even if it rotates and sounds fine. I would like to be able to test the HPOP to prove that it's either good or bad before spending the money on a new pump. Unfortunately, I have not found a shop that can do that yet. Please note that I am in Calgary Canada so I may not have access to the same options you have in the states.

Any suggestions on how to check if the oil is getting to the HPOP inlet to confirm that the pump is bad?

Thanks a lot for any input/help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:00 PM
PSN Veteran

What year is your 6.0?

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:35 PM
Master BS'er

Re: No oil to the HPOP

There really is no way to test the pump, Not easily anyway. You could pull the ipr and see is oil flows from there. You can be almost certain that it is, since it's getting to the turbo though.

You could ground the ipr and see if it starts. Or do an air test.

It's either a leak, a bad pump or bad ipr.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
There really is no way to test the pump, Not easily anyway. You could pull the ipr and see is oil flows from there. You can be almost certain that it is, since it's getting to the turbo though.

You could ground the ipr and see if it starts. Or do an air test.

It's either a leak, a bad pump or bad ipr.
I done all the air test and I have no leaks even at 150 psi. Besides even a leak i the high pressure side of the HPOP, or a bad IPR, I should see oil in the high pressure rail even if the pressure is not enough to start. I had a hard start before and I changed my standpipes and it works fine.

My main question in this thread is why I either I am not getting oil to the pump or may be the pump is bad and it's massively leaking back to the crankcase?.

By the way my truck is a F250 2006.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:46 AM
"resident smarty pants"

The only time I have seen this is when an HPOP was replaced and the suction opening plug was not removed before the install.

Are you sure that the standpipe on the ICP sensor side has not failed and completely plugged it up? Not sure if that is even possible, but just brainstorming. To test that, you could leave the IPR valve out and take a couplee of cranks (messy I know, but it might tell you something). Another option would be to remove the passenger valve cover, remove the standpipe, and see if you got oil flow from it when cranking.

An aftermarket cap and an OEM filter can starve the HPOP by leaving the oil filter canister drain valve open, but to cause zero pressure would be quite unusual.

I suppose a blown HPOP inlet gasket could leak quite a bit, but enough to cause zero pressure? Not real likely IMO.

It may be time to open it up I would think. Make sure the pathway from the oil cooler sump to the HPOP is clear.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:29 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Updates?

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic1 View Post
Updates?
Sorry for not providing any updates as it took me some times to find help to diagnose the HPOP.
I finally had the HPOP checked by a good diesel mechanic and, from the way it rotate, he believes the pump is bust. I ordered an Alliant one as well as a seal kit for the turbo lines and the IPR from Riffraff diesel. will update as soon as I will receive and install.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsid View Post
Sorry for not providing any updates as it took me some times to find help to diagnose the HPOP.
I finally had the HPOP checked by a good diesel mechanic and, from the way it rotate, he believes the pump is bust. I ordered an Alliant one as well as a seal kit for the turbo lines and the IPR from Riffraff diesel. will update as soon as I will receive and install.
Just received the HPOP this morning and it's installed and the engine start.
I am going to do some check with the scan tool to see if everythng id good and test drive and hopefully this problem is finally solved!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:45 AM
"resident smarty pants"

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it running. Not real common for the 05 and up pumps to go bad, but clearly it happens.

Mark
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic1 View Post
Thanks for the update. Glad you got it running. Not real common for the 05 and up pumps to go bad, but clearly it happens.
Just did a last check and everything is good. I was surprised that the pump failed too but I guess there is always the exception!
Thanks Bismic1 for you help and insight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode