Considering replacing my 96 7.3 with this 2003 6.0 ??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By tjctransport
  • 1 Post By tjctransport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Considering replacing my 96 7.3 with this 2003 6.0 ???

I have my 96 7.3 supercab, but the wife wants to try and make babies this year and I'll need the crew cab soon enough. I use the 7.3 sparingly to tow the toy hauler and RZR to the dunes. Fully loaded the trailer may weigh 10k. I have a small tacoma as my daily driver that gets pretty good mileage.

I found an Arizona rust free, 1 owner, garage kept 2003 F250 Lariat 6.0 - He is asking $14,000 obo...
- 165k miles
- original motor and tranny
- everything is stock
- truck has done very occasional and light towing
- CC long bed with 4x4
- never had a chip or gauges
- White exterior and all leather tan interior - looks to be in great shape outside and in

I have heard the horror stories over in the 7.3 forum, but I wanted to get both sides of the story. I dont want to make a ton of horsepower, I just need a reliable tow rig that wont leave my wife and kids on the side of the highway.

The owner says it has had the following "gremlins addressed" haha

in the last year or so the EGR cooler was "bulletproofed", the Oil cooler, FICM, glow plugs, fuel filters,and transmission filters ,along with electrical
cables have been upgraded. I guess those were the main issues on this particular motor. Transmission, coolant and oil were all changed out in the last 6 months. Oil has always been Synthetic and changed on a regular basis. Fuel additive has always been used, helps to keep the injectors in shape.

Owner also says he has receipts and service records for everything above.

If taken care of and properly set up, do these motors go 300k + like the 7.3 is famous for? and how much money will it cost me to get it set up and remedy any other 6.0 issues like head gaskets or head studs.

Thanks in advance guys, I know I am asking a lot, but the people in this forum are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable!

1996 f-250 XLT SC 4x4 7.3 - 215k miles - bone stock, for now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:18 AM
alleged moderator

Re: Considering replacing my 96 7.3 with this 2003 6.0 ???

6.0's can go 1 million miles, or 50,000 miles. there is no set "they will last so long" even if they were "bulletproofed" . i know a guy with 280,000 on his now. factory stock, and has had the egr and cooler changed twice.

i also know a guy that has one that was "bulletproofed" with 200 miles on it. and he is on his third engine in 150,000 miles.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 02:12 PM
PSN Local

I think the key to buying any good used vehicle is maintenance history. Is sounds like you have a good one there. If he has proof and it's a clean truck is go for it.

Common issues with the early 6.0 are with the FICM, EGR, Oil Cooler, and head gaskets.

If it's been well maintained and not used to tow heavy you may never need to address the head gaskets. I'd put a coolant bypass filter on it ASAP (and change the fluid) if it doesn't already have one. That'll help with the oil cooler issues.

I'd also look at doing the Blue spring upgrade too.

Check out Powerstrokehelp.com. They also have a ton of videos on YouTube.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:39 PM
alleged moderator

powerstrokehelpdude is a hack, and is full of cow droppings.. his videos are only good for entertainment value at the most.
he spews so mush bullsheivic as gospel truth it is not even funny.
his sole purpose is to drum up business for his shop, and mislead innocent people that do not know better.
look on any ford truck site, and they will all support what i just posted.
except most will not be as nice as i was describing him.

tom

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:11 AM
PSN Local

Love my 6.0. Just drove from south of Chicago to Myrtle beach and back. Dragging the new toy hauler through the mountains without any issues. I had it built to be reliable and it has proven to be up to the task of hauling. Fighting back rust is my major issue with my truck.

2005 F-250 6.0 L
Edge CTS
4" Straight Pipe
Blue Spring Upgrade
FICM upgrade
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:38 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjctransport View Post
powerstrokehelpdude is a hack, and is full of cow droppings.. his videos are only good for entertainment value at the most.
he spews so mush bullsheivic as gospel truth it is not even funny.
his sole purpose is to drum up business for his shop, and mislead innocent people that do not know better.
look on any ford truck site, and they will all support what i just posted.
except most will not be as nice as i was describing him.
He's a salesman.. he's selling a product. His shop.

Do you need to buy and do everything he does to these trucks? Probably not.

I guess I can see past what he's selling to the core of what's being said. I live down here north of Atlanta and didn't take my truck to his shop. However, when I had it bulletproofed at another shop they did most of what he does to my vehicle (at a lot less cost). I didn't do the Mishimoto radiator and the big dog heads but the core is there. ARP studs, rebuilt turbo, EGR delete, HPOP, Oil Cooler, Blue Spring upgrade, SCT Tuner, etc.

I think you can get a good idea about the ins and outs of these trucks from him but don't rely on what he says as gospel. He's a salesman.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:39 PM
alleged moderator

the problem with him is he gets almost as much wrong as he does rite.
Dustybumpers likes this.

tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode