Starting issue - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Starting issue

I just bought an 06 f350 6.0 a few days ago and noticed it takes a minute to start up. I’m relatively mechanically inclined but this is the first diesel I’ve owned so excuse my ignorance as to how things should be, I know it won’t start as quickly as a gas engine and don’t expect it to but when it’s been driven it starts up quickly however after sitting all night it cranks for a handful of seconds before firing up, is this to be expected or is this outside the norm. Like I said I don’t know my as-s from my elbow when it comes to Diesel engines just trying to figure out what is and isn’t normal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage
Re: Starting issue

What are the outside temps when you're attempting to start it up? Also, are you waiting for the glowplug light to turn off before attempting to start? It is normal for a diesel to take longer. In fact, Ford says 3-5 seconds is acceptable for this engine....though I've never had it take more than 2.5 or so.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

The outside temp is around 80 in the morning and mid 90s in afternoon(SE Texas) so I don’t think the temp is the issue, I do wait for the gp light to go off although it’s almost immediately I still wait a couple more seconds.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:26 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage

IMO, if it's taking more than 2 seconds to start when it's that warm, and you have waited for the glow plugs, then you may have an issue. I would hook up a scanner while trying to start and watch your IPR/ICP to see if it's taking longer than normal to get the right pressure from the HPOP. If the pressure is up above 500 and it's still waiting a bit before firing, I would check the glow plugs with a multi-meter.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I took it to the dealer two days ago and told them what was going on and they said they’re going to take care of it, should be ready this evening so we will see what they do or don’t fix on it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:49 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Please keep us informed. As Weatherlite posted, the one thing you need with a 6.0L is a scan tool for reading engine parameters. The most cost effective ones are smart phone apps - Torque Pro or ForScan Lite. You also need an ELM327 OBDII adapter with the software. ForScan is a better code reader.

That said, your issue sounded like either a leak in a dummy plug (high pressure oil) or a FICM issue.

Guessing gets expensive, thus the scan tool recommendation.

Even if you take it in, a little knowledge can keep the shop "honest". For example, your HPOP is VERY reliable. Hopefully they do not charge you for one (it is a common way for them to make extra money)!

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

They didn’t charge me anything, said they changed the fuel pump but that did absolutely nothing. Still same issue, I will be getting a scanner. What am I looking for on that scanner to see what isn’t right
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:42 AM
"resident smarty pants"

The best scan tool option currently (IMO) is a phome app called ForScan Lite. With it, you will need an ELM 327 OBDII adapter. I like BAFX brand.

With it you need to first check codes.

Then monitor the following when cranking:
ICP pressure
ICP volts
IPR % duty cycle
FICM MPower
FICM LPower
FICM VPower
rpms (again - when cranking)
FICM sync

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Does anyone know a store that carries a decent scanner/reader? I’d prefer not buy online if I can avoid it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:35 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

i think oreilly's and autozone have a version of the elm adapters, but they charge like $60 for one. Online they are literally $10 sometimes lol

I second the FICM voltages! :p my FICM main power V was at around 30 Volts cranking on cold startup best i remember when I started trying to figure out a long cold crank and a cold misfire type issue. I was misled because by the time the engine had warmed up, that same voltage value increased to the appropriate 48 volts. I should have read that value on cold start long ago.

Oh, a rebuilt ficm solved the long cold start - went from and ugly bloppy 3 plus seconds to a snappier "rin-rin-rin-rinBRAPAP-PAP-PAP-PAP-PAP-PAP...." It also helped the cold running/misfires tremendously, but it's still there just a tad. i'm guessing sticky injectors now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

my farts are so bad, they have been banned in 37 countries!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode