Help diagnosing my 6.0! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Help diagnosing my 6.0!

I have a stock 2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke super duty diesel FX4. Started it up this afternoon (nice day, about 80F out) and noticed some static/crackling noise from the radio. Thought it was just bad reception but it persisted on every channel I tried. Within a few minutes the sound from the radio cut out entirely but the radio display was still on and I could change radio channels, just no sound at all. Driving and doing about 25 MPH now (also, not towing anything in case that is pertinent) and thinking I've probably got an electrical problem.

Within seconds of the radio shenanigans the dash ABS light came on, then suddenly the electronic throttle control light comes on the dash and the truck starts alternating between having power and losing power (I think this might be the "limp-home" operation).

I plugged in my Scanguage II XGauge and here are some of the readings:

ICP Fluctuating between 600-1100 (operating range should be between 0-4,045, so getting a within parameters reading)

FLP 9.0 (operating range should be between 10.5-15.5, so I'm getting low reading here)

FMP 47.5 (operating range should be between 40-52, so getting a within parameters reading)

MAP Fluctuating between 20.4 to 22.4

After being home about an hour I wanted to fire the truck back up and get some other readings (like ECT and EOT) but the truck now won't turn over. It just clicks repetitively.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Help diagnosing my 6.0!

Check battery connections , thatís a start . Possibly the alternator is on the way out too ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:59 PM
PSN Newb - Lurker

Sounds like a wire has shorted out somewhere in your harness. Check the obvious stuff first: battery cables, alternator wires, starter wiring, then start running your eyes along the harness. Look for chafing, breaks, and scorch marks.

Good luck!

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Check battery connections , thatís a start . Possibly the alternator is on the way out too ...

Just replaced the alternator and all battery cables a few hundred miles ago.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzillamax69 View Post
Just replaced the alternator and all battery cables a few hundred miles ago.

Check the connections , do you have a scan tool ?

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Check the connections , do you have a scan tool ?

Connections are all good. Just checked voltage on both batteries; reading ~10.95 volts each. Not good since these batteries were replaced when I replaced the alternator a few hundred miles ago. And yes, I have the Scanguage II XGauge. Suggestions on what I scan for?
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Think I just confirmed that my starter is dead. I disconnected the wire to the starter solenoid and connected (the male connector end) of it directly to the positive terminal on the passenger side battery. Wouldn't crank, just clicked repeatedly and rapidly.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:58 PM
Master BS'er

Doesn't sound like a starter to me, sounds like low voltage, which we already knew because they're 10.9 with no load. Charge em up and get it started, then start checking the charging system.

I believe this system uses a signal from the cluster to turn on.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
Doesn't sound like a starter to me, sounds like low voltage, which we already knew because they're 10.9 with no load. Charge em up and get it started, then start checking the charging system.

I believe this system uses a signal from the cluster to turn on.
You are correct, its not the starter or starter solenoid. I charged the batters and then connected the starter solenoid (male) wire directly to the positive battery terminal and it started right up. How should I go about checking the charging system?
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:25 AM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzillamax69 View Post
You are correct, its not the starter or starter solenoid. I charged the batters and then connected the starter solenoid (male) wire directly to the positive battery terminal and it started right up. How should I go about checking the charging system?
Get a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) and put the leads on the pos and neg of 1 battery, volts dc setting. With it running you should be seeing 13.4vdc to 14.2vdc on avg.

~DW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in