‘05 Turbo - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN non Veteran

‘05 Turbo

On my 2005 F-250, the VGT would read 85% on startup with no turbo spool. (The truck has a cat and egr delete) either two conditions cause it to spool- 1. You warmup like normal then drive, then when you shift to second gear, it spools. 2. It idles for a looong time. Finally, when it does spool like normal, then when I drive with no load but up steep grades with 50% throttle, the vgt gradually drops to 15% duty cycle with about 10-15 lbs boost but when you let off on the throttle, the boost slowly goes away but the duty cycle stays at 15% and you hear the turbo slowly “spooling down”.
I’ve been doing research on this but everyone seems to have different conditions. Also, the truck was purchased secondhand from someone in west virginia in 2009 and was shipped here to Hawaii. The turbo was stuck but my dad managed to free it with some WOT action. It was parked a mere month in 2017 and ever since then, been acting strange. Is the turbo unison ring stuck? I tried giving it the WOT action again for the past year or so with no results. Sorry for a novel but if anyone has input it would be greatly appreciated!

1997 F350 SRW 133"WB, (225 Hp, 450 Lb-Ft. All I did was replace the starter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:08 PM
PSN Local

Re: ‘05 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_7.3 View Post
On my 2005 F-250, the VGT would read 85% on startup with no turbo spool. (The truck has a cat and egr delete) either two conditions cause it to spool- 1. You warmup like normal then drive, then when you shift to second gear, it spools. 2. It idles for a looong time. Finally, when it does spool like normal, then when I drive with no load but up steep grades with 50% throttle, the vgt gradually drops to 15% duty cycle with about 10-15 lbs boost but when you let off on the throttle, the boost slowly goes away but the duty cycle stays at 15% and you hear the turbo slowly “spooling down”.
I’ve been doing research on this but everyone seems to have different conditions. Also, the truck was purchased secondhand from someone in west virginia in 2009 and was shipped here to Hawaii. The turbo was stuck but my dad managed to free it with some WOT action. It was parked a mere month in 2017 and ever since then, been acting strange. Is the turbo unison ring stuck? I tried giving it the WOT action again for the past year or so with no results. Sorry for a novel but if anyone has input it would be greatly appreciated!
Mine did the same thing when I bought it a few years ago. You need to pull your turbo off, and clean it. The unison ring and fins are all gummed up......that's what's causing all of the inconsistent boost issues. It's not that big of a deal to pull the turbo off, and take it apart. If you are good at turning a wrench, you could probably get it off, cleaned, and put back on it 4hrs or less.

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode