Wire on injector rubbed through - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Wire on injector rubbed through

I pulled to injectors to diagnose a no start after trying everything else. Was changing dummy plugs and injector o rings.

I found the small white wire on the injector rubbed through to bare metal (on 2 injectors) ... not the vehicle injector harness loom, but the exposed wire on the actual injector

Has any one had this and can I just mend the wire to repair? Looks like it was rubbing on the underside of the fuel rail.

Would this short cause a no start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Here’s the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4A7F16EA-3767-4B03-97F0-3112D6960DD6_1557891322524.jpeg (592.2 KB, 24 views)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage
Re: Wire on injector rubbed through

I honestly don't remember if it's the white or the black that gets power. I would imagine white is 12+ and black is ground, but I've seen some stuff that makes no sense at all. So, having said that, yes, if the white wire is the positive, you could definitely have some shorting out. I would imagine you would be getting some sort of code, though. If not, then you've probably been lucky. I would look at the bottom of the oil rail to see if there is some excessive casting flash sticking out in those spots. If not, double check that the injector is seated properly, and that the wires are routed through their looms correctly. And if all else fails, put something between the wire as a buffer which won't be able to move or fall out of position. To seal the wire I'd give it a really good cleaning in the area of the exposed wire and would use canned plasti-dip.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
"resident smarty pants"

If you have very many miles on the injectors, I would consider changing all 6.

An electrical short in an injector sure can cause a no-start!

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I changed out those 2 injectors and no improvement. Just dropped the truck off at at a diesel shop to try and get it going.
I basically have torn down the whole top of the motor and cleaned and replaced seals, sensors and update parts.

everything from STC fitting to injectors, sensors and egr cleaning.

I think its an electrical issue, but hoping its not a bottom end thing
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 04:42 PM
"resident smarty pants"

A FICM (or harness) is more likely, but it is unfortunate that you don't have a scan too for the VT275.

So are all 6 injectors new or only the two?

Your shop can always check voltage from the ICP sensor to verify it is getting the necessary high pressure oil pressure to start. You should have .8 to 1 volt when cranking.

They can also ohm out the injector harness and even the injectors. A FICM is a little harder to diagnose - at least on the logic side.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in