Slow shift then dies - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Slow shift then dies

Just this morning i was leaving the house the truck started normally but when i was going up a hill the truck would lose power when it was shifting so it seemed like it was shifting really really late and when i got to the top of the hill the truck completely died, now it just cranks constantly and wont start, i was little under half a tank of diesel. My dad and I just replaced the pickup screen this weekend and the egr cooler is leaking (white smoke on start) im new to diesel so im not sure if it can be the injectors or a ficm? No idea... 04 f250 6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:06 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Slow shift then dies

I am not a 6.0 guy but I would not think it is injectors. Maybe the standpipe, the fuel pump or one of many others....there are knowledgeable 6.0 fellas on here i am sure they will help you diagnose your truck.

1996 F350 Crewcab lb 2wd auto, tommylift, now over 451k, 355k 3/31/15

1991 F250 Xtracab lb 2wd auto, sold again! Driveline and chassis is under a '65 F350 cab

1965 F100 styleside, power brakes, front discs, 390 all the goodies
2015 F250 CCSB 2wd gasser auto
2008 Mustang WIP, warriors in pink, wife's
2009 Focus, son's
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:22 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't think it's injectors either. I'd think it would at least fire and run really bad if 1 or even 2 injectors were failing.

First things first, do you have an obd2 scanner or monitor? there's a couple parms that are real real useful like the ICP and IPR, along with FICM logic and FICM main power. This can help the guys tat are smarter than me (lol) determine whether it's a HPO thing, or a FICM thing.
The HPO stuff is pretty straightforward - depending on the engine build, you've got a handful of parts that are known to leak off pressure enough to stop the motor from running.

Next, can you check your fuel pressure? Unless it's the fuel pump, I don't think that's it, but it's something you'll want to know if you own a 6.0 lol

aaaaaaaand, do you know the build date on your engine? i forget the cuttoff date, but some 04s have the 'early build 6.0', other have the later. makes a bit of difference hunting sensors and HPO leaks and stuff...

next-to-lastly, did you delete the egr yet? semi-related, is it programmed (tuned) to ignore the egr function, or is it running stock tuning?

Lastly, does the truck currently not start as it is now (crank-no start)? Also, keep those batteries maintained, a weak set of batteries will kill a FICM if it's not already started killing it... we can help you figure that our too if need be

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd-250 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't think it's injectors either. I'd think it would at least fire and run really bad if 1 or even 2 injectors were failing.

First things first, do you have an obd2 scanner or monitor? there's a couple parms that are real real useful like the ICP and IPR, along with FICM logic and FICM main power. This can help the guys tat are smarter than me (lol) determine whether it's a HPO thing, or a FICM thing.
The HPO stuff is pretty straightforward - depending on the engine build, you've got a handful of parts that are known to leak off pressure enough to stop the motor from running.

Next, can you check your fuel pressure? Unless it's the fuel pump, I don't think that's it, but it's something you'll want to know if you own a 6.0 lol

aaaaaaaand, do you know the build date on your engine? i forget the cuttoff date, but some 04s have the 'early build 6.0', other have the later. makes a bit of difference hunting sensors and HPO leaks and stuff...

next-to-lastly, did you delete the egr yet? semi-related, is it programmed (tuned) to ignore the egr function, or is it running stock tuning?

Lastly, does the truck currently not start as it is now (crank-no start)? Also, keep those batteries maintained, a weak set of batteries will kill a FICM if it's not already started killing it... we can help you figure that our too if need be
I do have an ob2 scanner, im at school so i wont be able to test the truck until later but the truck didnt know any codes on the scanner, we bought it from a dealership and the previous owner did alot of work to it, from what i can tell it seems to have a tune and the egr isnt deleted yet. My dad has a tig welder so were planning on welding the ends of the egr cooler this weekend. It does crank like normal but it wont start at all
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:45 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

No pending codes either?

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd-250 View Post
No pending codes either?
Nope no codes. It did start kind of rough in the morning but i didnt think much of it, it didnt idle rough after that or when i drove down the street, when i get home im going to take the ficm out and pray that it has 4 screws so i can replace the circuit board, do i have to re program the ficm after replacing the circuit board? If so how can i get that done.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:35 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

I highly recommend that you call Ed at FICMRepair.com - he is not only an expert, but he knows how to walk us DIY-ers through FICM repairs...
...he can also answer ficm tuning questions for you, unfortunately I can't help much more with ficms. I replaced mine a while back and i'm so glad i did lol - it's main power was way low.

BUT...before you spend too much work pulling the FICM, at least do the voltage test. Youtube has lots of great videos on it. and see what the OBD scanner says on the logic and main power ficm voltages. you'll want to know those key-on-engine-off, and while cranking. Rather, the guys that are smarter than me on here probably will lol

and check those HPO values for us! (ICP and IPR while cranking)

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:45 AM
"resident smarty pants"

Several other posts have suggested getting a scan tool to look at ICP and IPR values. Still haven't seen that data.

We can guess all day without data.

Did you ever call Ed at FICM repair?

Did you ever get the EGR cooler welded?

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode