Is upgrading the 5R110 solenoids worth it? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Is upgrading the 5R110 solenoids worth it?

2006 CCLB 6.0 5R110 211k miles

I recently tuned my FICM and a note in the package said that with the higher levels of ficm tuning, it's recommended that you upgrade your 3-5 shift solenoids, the weak part of the 5R110 transmission.

Is it worth it? I only tow a car trailer with gear in the bed at most. Total weight of truck, trailer, car on the trailer, and gear in the bed is probably around 16k-18k pounds. So nothing too crazy. I know some people out there tow more than that in the 5th wheel trailer alone.

And if I do decide to upgrade the solenoid, which ones actually need replacing? The 3rd gear solenoid? I can't seem to find a straight answer, I've found a few write ups but they don't specify which solenoids control the 3-5 shift

https://performancetruckproducts.com...oke-6-0l-6-4l/

My transmission doesn't have the 3-5 flare yet but I'm looking to replace the solenoid as a precautionary measure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:56 PM
PSN Veteran

Save your money it’s a useless upgrade IMO and I build these transmissions . I’ve never installed one. Use proper transmission tuning instead. My personal one was done almost 6 years ago and was tuned at the same and haven’t had a problem nor with any of the other I have built

WIth that mileage has however i wouldn’t be surprised if you develop issues with the added power if the trans has been 100% untouched

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Is upgrading the 5R110 solenoids worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewd11 View Post
Save your money itís a useless upgrade IMO and I build these transmissions . Iíve never installed one. Use proper transmission tuning instead. My personal one was done almost 6 years ago and was tuned at the same and havenít had a problem nor with any of the other I have built

WIth that mileage has however i wouldnít be surprised if you develop issues with the added power if the trans has been 100% untouched
Got it, I went with the Atlas 40 tune, so I'm hoping it's not going to blow my trans. Mainly wanted better throttle response off the line and a bump in fuel economy.

Any thoughts on the dummy plug replacements? Upgrading the stock plastic one(s) to metal?

I thought these transmissions were pretty tough as far as longevity was concerned? I recently drained it, changed the filter and pan to a 6.4 set up and everything looked pretty good, normal amount of metal on the magnet and the fluid was dark but still red.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:57 AM
"resident smarty pants"

Nothing needs to be done to the transmission plugs either

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:24 PM
PSN Veteran

They are stout transmissions. With the age and mileage of the transmission piston seal integrity becomes an issue as rubber deteriorates as it ages. Also the steel plates tend to start shedding metal around that mileage . The first sign of that will be erratic operation (small metal particles that hang up the shift solenoids. My trans lasted 6k miles after I added tunes (steel plates failed at 173k miles). I built with good parts and haven’t had a problem for the last 6 years and same goes for others I have done.

Your 06 doesn’t have pressure switches that’s need plugging so no need for that either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:54 PM
"resident smarty pants"

fyi - Here are the plugs he asked about

Transmission dummy plug

Some say they fail. IMO it is a non issue.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

Last edited by bismic1; 05-09-2019 at 05:49 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:23 PM
PSN Veteran

Ive only seen those on the very eary models the late model ones don’t have them. Sometimes there is a plug in only one port but I have never touched one. Another useless thing to buy IMO

OP save your money for a nice overhaul kit. The best thing to make these transmissions live is proper tuning to go with the added power.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode