2004 6.0 powerstroke no start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

2004 6.0 powerstroke no start

Truck was driving fine then when cut off it wouldn’t start anymore. I replaced the #7 injector and truck ran good for about two weeks then same issue, running fine when shut off wouldn’t start, both times it would turn over but not fire up. This time i took to shop and was told same injector was leaking and they replaced oring and crush washer, then three weeks later same issue so i pulled all injectors polisheded them verified good spray pattern and put all new orings on each. Once they were reinstalled still no start, i listened for injectors when i turned key on and they all clicked like normal. I checked for fuel at top filter and it was good, i checked fuel Pressure and it maintained 50+ while cranking. I checked with obd2 and got no codes so i bought a scan guage. After programming the proper codes in the x guage i got: icp=0, Ipr=84, Ficm sync=0 ficm volts=48. I also put adapter in place of icp and connected shop pressure and could hear air behind turbo and in fill neck. Tried moving wires around hoping to get sinc but nothing. I am getting good rpm readings also I
am now lost on what else to do, i need help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:56 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Re: 2004 6.0 powerstroke no start

50 psi is bare minimum for fuel pressure (Ford says 45 is minimum, but IMO it needs to be 50).

That said, your first issue is to find out why you have no pressure in the high pressure oil system.

You need to tell us where is ICP is located on your truck (passenger valve cover or behind the turbo).

Then I would repeat the air test, but do it w/ the valve covers off and also listen at the oil filter housing (w/ the oil filter removed).

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

When i am turning over motor the fuel pressure goes to about 56-57 then as i continue to crank it drops slowly to just around 50 and I haven’t seen it go below 50 thats why i said 50+. The icp is located on the passenger side valve cover. I also forgot while i was posting earlier but while it was running the last time it was taking a long time to start and i was getting code for #4&5 glow plugs so i changed all of them along with wiring harness on both sides and installed a new glow plug controller. The truck started starting after only 4 or 5 cranks. This was about 4 days before it quit starting. I have had to tow this thing home twice becuse it runs as good as it can but once i turn it off there is no start, i dont understand why it doesn’t give some kind of hint that something is going wrong.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:27 AM
"resident smarty pants"

Isn't ICP=0 a hint?

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yes but forgive me if i seam slightly ignorant but i also had no sync and i am not sure if one could have affect on the other. I am not a diesel mechanic this is first one i have actually worked on so i am learning asi go. So dont be surprised if i ask a few stupid questions and if i do please bare with me
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:31 AM
"resident smarty pants"

First you need to be able to get 500 + psig in the high pressure oil system when cranking.

Earlier I asked about the ICP sensor location. The answer helps in troubleshooting the high pressure oil system. If it is on the passenger valve cover, then you have oil rail dummy plugs and they are a common place to leak. It could also be a leaking standpipe, a bad IPR valve, or even a bad HPOP. 03 and 04 had failure prone HPOPs. IMO you are netter off getting the fitting that enables you to air test through the IPR port.

Did you close the IPR valve when you were doing the air test of the high pressure oil system? You have to do this if you are testing through the ICP port. This is why I like going through the IPR port.

Could you describe exactly what you polished on the injectors?

Mark
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I did not close anything when i tried to do the leak test. I did buy both adapters one for icp and one for ipr as i was unsure which one i needed so i bought both. I pulled injectors out marked each of them as where they came out then marked again the location of the bottom half in relation to the top then disassembled (after watching approximately a dozen videoes on this) i then checked spring and then checked the spray pattern using a parts cleaner and had one on passenger side that just dribbled out the end and one that had erratic spray and on the drivers side i had one that was completely blocked and two with erratic spray then used scotch brite to clean them (gonna try to post pictures) after cleaning had good strong spray out of each. I then replaced all orings and reinstalled in same spot they were removed from making sure all my marks lined up where they were when i started
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EFBDC297-97B2-471E-8A5B-F33BE9FAA22B_1555764127157.jpeg (834.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg 4E7BAA93-1678-4B56-A756-F0248CB3087A_1555764156983.jpeg (1,021.3 KB, 3 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode