Truck pulls to right when on the brakes....ideas on why? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Exclamation Truck pulls to right when on the brakes....ideas on why?

Ever since I got my 05' F250 a few years ago, I've noticed that it pulls to the right pretty good when I get on the brakes hard. I finally got tired of it, and dug into the problem last weekend. The pads were shot, and so were the rotors.....so I replaced everything. The caliper pins all slid back and forth easily, but I re-greased them anyway. I cleaned the groves that the pads sat in, and installed new retaining clips. Just for the heck of it, I also bled the lines and topped everything off with fresh fluid. I put it all back together.......and I think it's doing it worse than is was before.

I have to counter steer pretty hard to keep the truck going straight when I get on the brakes. As soon as I let off the brake, the truck goes straight again.

At this point, the only thing I can think of would be that the left (drivers side) caliper is sticking, and not squeezing as hard as the right side....causing the truck to pull right. OR...maybe the front brake like on the left said is expanding more than the right side....causing more pressure to go to the right side...pulling the truck right?

Any way to test stuff out before I just start replacing parts? Anything else it could be?

The truck has 225,000 miles on it...and as far as I know, original calipers and lines.

Thanks for the help!

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:36 PM
alleged moderator

Re: Truck pulls to right when on the brakes....ideas on why?

at 225k miles, i would replace both front soft lines just because.
but it does sound to me like you either have a failing left soft line, or a failing caliper.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:00 PM

I would say failing drivers caliper. But it's best to replace them in pairs.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:08 AM
don't play well w others

Calipers, lines, tire pressure.

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for all the great info! I did a little testing with the temp gun today. Before I did, I made sure to check the tire pressure.......and there were all within 1-2 psi of each other.

I went for a drive on a straight section of farm road at around 60mph. I got on the brakes pretty hard 3 times to heat them up, and then found a place to pull over to take some temp readings. The rear rotors were within 10 degrees of each other. But the front driver side rotor was about 50 degrees cooler than the passenger side...that would make sense, it's pulling to the right (passenger side), so that side is clamping harder...wanting to stop harder, pulling it to the right.

The weird thing I did notice is that out of the three times where I got on the brakes pretty hard.....there was one time where it went completely straight and didn't pull at all. Odd.

As far as I can tell, everything is pointing to a sticky caliper piston on the drivers side caliper. I think I'm going to replace both front lines, and both front calipers......with this truck being 14 years old, and having almost 230,000 miles on it......I can't imagine it's going to hurt at all.

Am I correct in thinking the issues is a sticky piston on the drivers side caliper?

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:02 PM
Native Texan

Garage

Could be a sticky piston or a bad hose. if u replace both u should be good.

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:41 PM
don't play well w others

Hose usually sticks and holds them on after you release the pedal, but could be collapsed inside.
I would replace both, and both calipers.
I always do them together, and in pairs

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:48 AM
Grumpy welder

The driverís side sticking means the passenger side grabs harder and pulls to the right. I like the idea with the temp gun!

I agree with Dusty. Usually if one side is bad the other is not far behind. Youíre already opening up the system to replace the caliper and the hoses are cheap by comparison. To know that you only have to bleed the system once and that itís no longer a potential issue itís worth it to me.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:52 AM
PSN Newb

If you cleaned everything up and changed the rotor and pads. You need to replace the caliber because either one or both of the pistons are sticking causing your pulling. This is also the reason your pads and rotor were chewed up. Replace the caliber preferably on both sides, but that's not really needed you can just do the right side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode