03 6.0 Battery light - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

03 6.0 Battery light

Not too long ago my battery light came on while the truck was running, then shut off, came back on again. I put the multi meter on the batteries and they are reading about 11.3 while the truck is off. Its not a daily driven truck so I parked it till I could figure out the issue. Started it up today, ran it for about 15 mins and went up and down the road. Battery light started coming on and off again, it shifted rough a few times, and after I parked it and shut it off it will not start back up. The gauges all jump back and forth as I try to crank it, it clicks, but does nothing else. I left the key in the ON position to try and get a read with the multi meter and there was a buzzing type sound coming from the passenger side battery area. Before I shell out the money for an alternator and new batteries I just wanted to know if there is anything else I should check first. Is this a potential FICM problem? Could it just be the batteries are bad and not the alternator? Also how big of an alternator is recommended? Not sure which one it has in there now, but I dont have any accessories on it, no extra lights or anything, and all it tows is my jon boat. Would really appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:04 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Re: 03 6.0 Battery light

Most likely the alternator is bad when you get the battery light. IMO 190 amps is the right size.

A bad battery can ruin an alternator and vice versa. Charge the batteries and then load test them individually (not just a static voltage test).

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode