VGT Cant figure it out, lots of info - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
BKB
PSN Local

VGT Cant figure it out, lots of info

Pulled cab to bulletproof my 05 with 80k miles. Turbo was removed and put on the floor till it was ready to be put back on. This turbo was a warranty Ford turbo replaced at 50k so only 30k miles most towing and had no issues. I did pull the end cap off the piston and use a magnet to actuate the vanes and was butter smooth. Started the truck up and it sounded deep and not like a shop vac. Only put 10 miles on it and it did make boost but was watching other things. But it never sounded like a jet like this truck always did at idle.

Truck wore a rod bearing down and cab off and motor rebuilt. Turbo rebuilt, cleaned and KC wheel added. Truck sounded the same low tone and no shop vac sound. VGT wiring was looking bad so that connector was also replaced. Truck ran nice again for 10 miles till I found babbatt in the oil again.

Cab off motor out again and found a cam bearing babbett layer pealed off but still babbett under it. Something I never saw before and its back together. No codes, will boost 20psi max on street tune with atlas 40, colt stage 2 cam, MBRP exhaust no kitty. Turbo is laggy and makes no boost for a while, EGTs are higher everywhere but truck runs pretty good. Fuel pressure is 60psi and new filters installed, new VGT solenoid installed with no change, slight change in tone when VGT is unplugged so it is doing something, battery voltage measured at connector with key on. The vgt piston is 1.9 inch from casting to piston down with VGT solenoid removed and .775 inch from casting piston out as far as it will come. Again VGT system is butter smooth and I spent hrs moving it back and forth with a tinny magnet. Tried VGT re-learn no change. Any ideas???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (14.6 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:16 PM
PSN Newb

Re: VGT Cant figure it out, lots of info

did you do a VGT relearn? if not that might fix it, either way that should be done after the type of work you did.

2003 (03.25MY) 250 super duty xlt, auto, 2wd, 147K owned since new, word done; Cooling system flush and fill with ECL-1 coolant, coolant filter, oem oil cooler, BP EGR cooler, turbo rebuild and powermax GT40 compressor, dieselsite cacc boots hot side, cat delete, blue spring kit, transmissison fliter upgrade to 08 style, Edge monitor (no tuner).
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:55 AM
"resident smarty pants"

What are your EBP, MAP, and Baro readings at KOEO?

Have you checked to see if the EBP sensor is plugged? How about checking the EBP tube for carbon plugging? MAP sensor hose in good shape (no leaks or plugging there either)?

Did you identify the babbitt material in the oil by UOA?

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
BKB
PSN Local

map hose is good along with intake nipple. Pulled engine apart to find one cam bearing looks like a layer of Babbitt fell off, all Mahle cam bearings were on the tight side and not the roundest. The bad spot gave me .002 oil clearances so I cleaned it up and put it back together, cam spun nice in the block. I wasent going to pull the heads for a 3rd time to pop out one cam bearing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koeo.jpg (12.8 KB, 16 views)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
BKB
PSN Local

First time I took the truck on the highway and put some mileage on it. Looking at the VGT on forscan the compute seems to command really low VGT %. I posted a WOT run and you can see vgt 15% but why??? Its possible the truck was not warm enough to do a VGT re-learn, usally around 175' by the time the batteries get hooked back up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5142.jpg (10.2 KB, 11 views)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:52 AM
PSN Veteran

IMO talk to your tuner. If it’s a desired issue by the pcm is the programming. The first thing I Noticed that the desired EBP is very low on all your snap shots. Low desired EBP results with low VGT

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
BKB
PSN Local

I have been running the same tunes for 10 years, never did anything like this. Only change was the Atlas 40 and my understanding is that's strictly fuel.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:25 AM
PSN Veteran

It’s possible the file is corrupt. Try changing the tunes around it won’t hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
BKB
PSN Local

Tried stock and my tow tune several times and they are both significantly worse. Jake brake in tow tune does not work they way it used to, should lock up the rear axle without a trailer. Im pulling the EBP sensor today and inspecting. It seems to be reading properly but it seems to effect the VGT the most threw the ECU.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:23 PM
PSN Veteran

The ecm relies on the ebs heavily for vgt operation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode