6.4 trans pan upgrade question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

6.4 trans pan upgrade question

I'm looking to do the 6.4 trans pan and filter upgrade on my 2006 F350 but I'm a little confused with the actual pan I need

I'm looking online and every 2008-10 pan I'm seeing looks exactly the same as my 06 pan. Externally at least. And every write up and youtube video I've watched, their pans look the same as mine.

Are the 08-10 pans the same externally but different internally?

I'm looking at getting this cheap pan which says it's for a 6.4 powerstroke

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Transmi...gAAOSwuUlb~gz4

and this filter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Trans-...AAAOSwwZJcf~lp

Can anyone confirm that's what I need for the job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:48 AM
PSN Newb - Lurker

Re: 6.4 trans pan upgrade question

I just upgraded my pan less than a week ago. The filter is right. The pans will look different on the inside. The deepest part of the sump is wider on the 6.4L pan, allowing for the highly improved FT-180 filter. Let me snoop around real quick and find the part number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:06 PM
PSN Newb - Lurker

I found the following info on the Dornan aftermarket pan. Expect to pay $40-60 for an aftermarket pan. It references the oe part #:
3C3Z-7A194-AA
Also, do your trannie a favor and replace the TP Roll bypass filter behind your front bumper (Motorcraft part #FT-145).

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks, I picked up that filter, and now I'm looking for pans. It's kind of confusing since externally they look the same. So many sellers have extremely cheap pans that make me wonder if it's the right thing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmissio...EAAOSwXitcPoyk

This listing has the correct OEM part number and the correct dorman 265-822 part number as well

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...RoCmUsQAvD_BwE

Here on summit they have an actual dorman pan with the correct dorman part number. I may just end up ordering from them.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I actually think the correct part number is 8C3Z-7A194-B

https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/trans...pan-6-0l-6-4l/ shows that part number as the upgraded 6.4 pan

and here

This listing on amazon shows this pan being bought with the FT180 filter
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:34 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Quote:
Originally Posted by koukimonster View Post
I actually think the correct part number is 8C3Z-7A194-B

https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/trans...pan-6-0l-6-4l/ shows that part number as the upgraded 6.4 pan

and here

Sorry! Something went wrong!

This listing on amazon shows this pan being bought with the FT180 filter
You are correct on that part number and the filter part number is 8C3Z-7A098-D (FT180 is correct also).

IMO Dorman quality is suspect. They may have gotten this one right, but for critical parts, I don't trust them.
Michael S King likes this.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic1 View Post
You are correct on that part number and the filter part number is 8C3Z-7A098-D (FT180 is correct also).

IMO Dorman quality is suspect. They may have gotten this one right, but for critical parts, I don't trust them.
Sounds good, I got that FT180 filter and bought an OEM ford pan off of amazon. Looks like I'm good to go!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:46 PM
PSN Local

When I did mine, I bought:
Filter: FT-180
Pan: 8C3Z-7A194-B

I feel like the filter didnt sit as solid as the old one. I wondered if i doubled up the filter gaskets, one on top of the other, it might sit better.

Other than that it was an easy swap.

2003 Excursion EB 6.0 PSD: BPD Oil Cooler, Water Pump, 7.3 fan adapter: Adrenaline Stock HPOP: APR Head Studs (One at a time): KC Turbo Billet Compressor: EGR Delete: Sinister Coolant Filter & Regulated Fuel Return: '08+ Oil Pan/Filter: SCT LiveWire TS+
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:56 PM
PSN Newb - Lurker

I ‘upgraded’ to a deep sump pan. After towing and running some highway miles, I have to say it’s probably not much better than a stock pan. Transmission temps are about 5 degrees cooler while towing and 10 degrees cooler on the highway. That doesn’t justify the price. I did get to buy 6 extra quarts of Mercon SP... The biggest reason to upgrade is having the FT-180 filter.

voodooridr likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S King View Post
I ‘upgraded’ to a deep sump pan. After towing and running some highway miles, I have to say it’s probably not much better than a stock pan. Transmission temps are about 5 degrees cooler while towing and 10 degrees cooler on the highway. That doesn’t justify the price. I did get to buy 6 extra quarts of Mercon SP... The biggest reason to upgrade is having the FT-180 filter.

Yeah, I'm not really doing it for cooler temps although that will be helpful even if it's just a few degrees. It's mostly for the better filtration and the fact that I'll be changing my fluid and filter anyways. So really I'm just paying 68 bucks extra for a pan.
Michael S King likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode