Uh oh, is this the first slight sign of blown head gaskets? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Uh oh, is this the first slight sign of blown head gaskets?

2006 F350 - auto trans - 210k miles - stock head bolts and gaskets (definitely head BOLTS, original as far as I know)

Owned it for about 10k miles at this point, has a new oil cooler, EGR delete, coolant filtration kit, CAT ELC coolant, fairly new Stant degas cap

Towed about 1500 miles last week through some mountains, started at about 6k feet elevation and dropped down to sea level

Coming down a mountain I popped the hood for a look at the gas station and noticed a little bit of coolant coming out of the degas cap and the coolant level was higher up than usual, about half way between the stock low and high level marks. I usually keep the coolant level half way between the low level mark and the bottom of the bottle. I wiped it off and kept going on my way

When I got to my destination, everything looked good so I shut it off for the night. When I came back the next morning after it sat for 12 hours or so, the rad hose still had pressure, so I opened up the degas cap and a bit of pressure escaped. The coolant level had returned to normal though.

Is this a sign of a slightly leaking HG? Or am I just being paranoid?

The signs I noticed were - A bit of coolant out the degas cap and cooling system pressure remaining overnight.

I monitored everything on the TorquePro app and the coolant temp never went above 210 even when towing up the steep grades. Coolant and oil temp were never more than 15 degrees apart and usually stayed about 3 or 4 degrees apart. Coolant and oil are both clean, no mixing there. Coolant level isn't dropping, so I'm guessing no coolant consumption. And no white coolant smoke out the tail pipe.

Think it's alright? Or should I start saving up for a stud and HG job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:54 AM
PSN Veteran

IMO start saving. If you want concrete evidence “T” a gauge into the cooling system and route it into the cab so you can watch what the pressure is doing under load.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:57 PM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Re: Uh oh, is this the first slight sign of blown head gaskets?

Yea I would start saving up. It's only going to get worse.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode