No start - Oil soaked IPR Valve? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

No start - Oil soaked IPR Valve?

I have a 2007 International cab over CF600, its a VT275, so basically the same engine as the 6.0L ford pickups, but V6 configuration

(i have had a 6.0L in the past also)

It was running for a week, went to move it and it wouldnt start.

I have a no start (cold) condition, the thing uses maxxforce diagnostics , so of course my scan gauge 2 wont connect properly. I have tried, it just stays on "connecting " screen.

done so far:

I have new batteries
Checked FICM power while injector clatter <45 volts
I changed the STC fitting to sinister diesel part
I jiggled wire loom around fuel bowl and checked connections
tried to start w/o ICP plugged in
stock oil cap and filter

Findings:

I Pulled IPR and its covered in oil on the outside, screen is clean. I took screen off and brake cleaned the inside

I have never seen an oil soaked IPR on any youtube videos or anything, this seems off to me.. is it stuck open therefore oil soaked?

also i pulled oil filter and notice the top of the drain tube there is a little plunger spring, it is broken and laying there. I will replace the tube today, not sure if this will cause oil pressure issues?

Oil filter drain stopper is still OK in the bottom of the filter housing.

Any ideas? im stuck on what to check next with out PIDS from scan gauge.

please help need to get it moved!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:48 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Re: No start - Oil soaked IPR Valve?

Brake Kleen is hard on the rubber seals. Carb cleaner is better.

The way you posted, it indicates that when cranking the FICM MPower is LESS THAN 45 volts. Is that what you meant? If so, that isn't good. You should probably still start, but it indicates a power board on its way to failure.

I don't know why an oil filter standpipe would break with OEM filters/cap. Maybe replacing it will help w/ the starts.

As far as an IPR leaking to the outside, that is NOT an indication of it being stuck internally. The external leak is a totally separate issue.

You could tap into the ICP sensor "signal return" and see what voltage it is when cranking. I can post a table that will give you an approximation of the pressure that correlates to the voltage.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

FICM was 45.6 while cranking, so i think its OK

IPR is oily inside, not leaking into the motor, but the nose with the screen is totally black from the screen to the o-ring before the threads

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

** IPR has no external leaks on to the motor**
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:01 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEDERRR View Post

I Pulled IPR and its covered in oil on the outside, screen is clean. I took screen off and brake cleaned the inside

I have never seen an oil soaked IPR on any youtube videos or anything, this seems off to me.. is it stuck open therefore oil soaked?
Sorry, that is the way it read to me.

It is not an issue for the outside surface of the internal components to be oil covered.
DIEDERRR likes this.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So I had a diesel tech come out yesterday and he scanned it and played with it for an hour and told me the FICM voltage never got above 35, so change the FICM, also there was a lot of air in the oil so it may be tough to start for a while. - everything else looked good he said.

I put a new FICM in and after lots of cranking I got it started once for about 1 minute and it died. I got a video of it, hopefully someone will have an idea where to chase next.

I had to crank it and keep cranking it to get the motor spinning up to speed it felt like. Then after it was running I could let go of the keys..

tons of smoke as you can see, smelled like over fueling, not really coolant.

If I have a glow plug issue will there be un burnt fuel and very hard starting?

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I cant get the video to link directly, heres the link of when I got it running for a minute

https://imgur.com/tqZODvn
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Haven't given up yet.

I've been going down the no start list... cant plug into this thing with scangauge because the navistar system... what a pain in the ass.

last few days ive checked

checked fuel filters,
siphoned off some diesel from the tank to check for gas
checked all the wiring around the IPR and crank position loom to look for shorts or broken wires
pulled/cleaned the egr and vacuumed the intake out

The story is one day it was running, the next it wouldn't start...

Once in a while i can get it to sputter to a rough idle and then it will die out 15-45 seconds - ive only been able to do this a few times though, then it just wont go.

pulling the driver side valve cover off tomorrow and going to look at dummy plugs and injectors. hoping for an obvious problem.

Will dummy plug or standpipe leak cause a no start? I thought that was more a HOT not start thing....???

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I noticed there was a pretty bad oil leak on this thing, just documenting my repairs because there is litterally no info online about these trucks

For searching reasons for people in the future:

*** VT275, International CF600, 4.5L powerstroke diesel, Ford LCF550, navistar cf600 cab over truck crank no start ***

Hopefully this will provide some helpful advise.

i took off the oil filter / fuel filter housing today.
found the leak on the O rings were the housing mates with the motor.. all 3 o rings are damaged leaking oil.

I suspect this may cause similar problems that a missing oil filter drain back plug would cause. It definitely would make it more difficult for the LPOP to feed the filter and HPOP system with a big leak like this. - I have to wait until monday to buy some new o rings from a specialty supplier locally.

I discovered the oil filter housing is different than the 6.0L s , but the blue spring kit WILL WORK with this motor. you just wont use all the parts because its slightly different.

I also discovered the fuel pressure sensor finger tight and one of the fuel feed lines finger tight..... I'm thinking it was sucking major air.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:18 AM
PSN Local

No start - Oil soaked IPR Valve?

This has been an interesting thread. Iíve been looking to add this motor to my Ď83 wagoneer. So please keep posting your findings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 Excursion EB 6.0 PSD: BPD Oil Cooler, Water Pump, 7.3 fan adapter: Adrenaline Stock HPOP: APR Head Studs (One at a time): KC Turbo Billet Compressor: EGR Delete: Sinister Coolant Filter & Regulated Fuel Return: '08+ Oil Pan/Filter: SCT LiveWire TS+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode