How does your 6.0 feel when towing? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

How does your 6.0 feel when towing?

Some people post about how their 6.0 tows like a beast and they don't even feel the 15k pound goose neck load they're pulling. Are they full of BS? Exaggerating? Or just extremely oblivious to how their truck feels?

With my 6.0, I can feel slightly my empty open top car trailer. Weighs about 2k pounds. I can definitely feel it when I'm towing a car on my car trailer, so maybe about 5k pounds? And I can definitely feel it when I tow my car on my car trailer with all my gear, a full tank of fuel, and myself and a passenger.

I just took a load to the dump, and I'd guess maybe about 1000-1200 pounds in the bed? I could feel the difference from driving to the dump, to driving back home completely unloaded.

Am I just over aware of how my truck feels? It's not like my truck becomes a slow underpowered slug while towing. But it's definitely not like there's nothing behind me when I'm towing. I know what slow is, I towed maybe 6k with another 1200 in gear in a 5.7L suburban and that was definitely slow and struggling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:54 AM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Re: How does your 6.0 feel when towing?

I hear ya! I felt that way about hauling payloads in my 6.0 until I added load supports in place of the rear bump stops. I think it reduced body roll and sag enough that it feels the same loaded or unloaded now. that's with a 1,000 to 1,500 pound pallet in the bed. my springs are pretty weak as it is though.

though, my dad's old DRW 6.0 with 4.10s & stiff-ass springs really did walk the walk while towing a good 10k. I'm sure my SRW with 3.73s would not feel nearly as strong doing that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hmm, perhaps it's all in the diff gearing. I also have a SRW 3.73 and I've always wondered how a dually with the 4.10's would tow

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:29 PM
PSN Newb

I've owned my F350 dually with 4.10 gears since it was new. When I tow my empty enclosed trailer that weighs about 2,000 pounds I hardly notice it. When I put the 2,400 pound car in the trailer, it really feels like I've hitched up to a 5,000 pound load. I know its back there, especially when pulling away from stop. On an interstate road with substantial hills, I definitely know the loaded trailer is behind me. I run an SCT custom tune and have a FICM tune.

I'd like to ride in the guy's truck pulling 15,000 pounds who doesn't know its back there!

2004 F350 Lariat, CC, LWB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0L w/ TorqShift, 4.10 LS, Dark Charcoal Gray, Permatech sprayed liner, 7 Isspro gauges, AIC, Jason cap, and PIAA fog lamps, mounted as aux. back-up lights. Billet badges.
EGR cooler delete, new OEM oil cooler, ARP head studs and OEM gasket. SCT tuner. Blue spring.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:36 AM
BKB
PSN Local

I sometimes think my truck hauls my 40ft 5th wheel better than my 18ft car trailer with a car. Never had a truck that seems to struggle getting its own butt up a hill but will eat that same hill at 27k pounds.
Turd-250 likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:49 PM
PSN Local

I have a 7400lb camper and can feel it when towing.

Truck has been fully bulletproofed and tuned. If you're hauling that kind of weight you're going to feel it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:03 PM
PSN Newb

Well, back in 2009/2010 I had the privilege of borrowing a 2008 F550. At the time we had a 9000 lb Prowler travel trailer bumper pull. I loaded that camper with all our stuff and then some.

I can honestly say that I never felt the camper back there. I used the truck at least a half dozen times driving more than 4 hours from home.

I remember pulling into one of the camp grounds and the green police asking me why I have to use such a big truck for my camper. I simply said, "I just like using a sledge hammer to kill flies."

True story.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:50 PM
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by brant_c View Post
Well, back in 2009/2010 I had the privilege of borrowing a 2008 F550. At the time we had a 9000 lb Prowler travel trailer bumper pull. I loaded that camper with all our stuff and then some.

I can honestly say that I never felt the camper back there. I used the truck at least a half dozen times driving more than 4 hours from home.

I remember pulling into one of the camp grounds and the green police asking me why I have to use such a big truck for my camper. I simply said, "I just like using a sledge hammer to kill flies."

True story.
My buddy said the best rig he's ever towed with was a 6.4, and he would know. Don't think he's towed with a 6.7 yet though. I'm sure those are even better.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:53 PM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
I sometimes think my truck hauls my 40ft 5th wheel better than my 18ft car trailer with a car. Never had a truck that seems to struggle getting its own butt up a hill but will eat that same hill at 27k pounds.
We certainly have different trucks. Without a trailer connected, my truck will eat any hill in its path, without straining.

The variety of responses to this thread is interesting.

2004 F350 Lariat, CC, LWB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0L w/ TorqShift, 4.10 LS, Dark Charcoal Gray, Permatech sprayed liner, 7 Isspro gauges, AIC, Jason cap, and PIAA fog lamps, mounted as aux. back-up lights. Billet badges.
EGR cooler delete, new OEM oil cooler, ARP head studs and OEM gasket. SCT tuner. Blue spring.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:21 AM
PSN Local

Sorry guys.. you can't tell me that 0-60 is the same when towing as it is without pulling a 7-8k trailer.

I don't care what you have.. 6.0, 6.4, 6.7..etc.

I think the perspective is different.. that's all.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode