not fueling 6.0? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

not fueling 6.0?

completely bulletproofed 06 6.0 about 3 months ago with maybe 800 miles. I mean top to bottom with some aftermarket parts as well. been using the truck to plow etc it's not my daily. have had no issues since now yesterday I drove to my parents to plow out their driveway truck ran great pulled hard no issues. halfway through plowing it almost had what felt like a skip and alot of black smoke, finished plowing took the truck down the road and again alot of black smoke and very sluggish almost like no power. I turned the key off and tried to restart the truck and it would not fire no smell of diesel no smoke. friend showed up quick shot of either and it fired up and idled but pressed the gas in park and again very laggy sluggish no smoke, shifted to drive immediately died has not restarted since. fuel pressure at 65 psi with normal drop off when truck shuts off the tank seems alittle louder than normal I may be wrong and I have about 1/4 tank.

today I drained water separator no contamination, changed fuel filters and tried with icp sensor unplugged and plugged in no difference. icp last night read 200-300 than would hit 600+ psi. today I tried starting and icp would barely hit 300psi. it seems as if truck is not getting fuel/fueling. only codes are open glow plug circuit, open cam and crank circuit as well as low icp which I got while unplugged. pulled codes and data log using my sct programmer.

ficm rebuilt and tuned with atlas 80 hpop is new/stc fitting updated/ipr & icp sensor new/crank & cam sensor new updated stand pipes and dummy plugs etc all done about 800 miles ago among many other items.

does that sound like I'm headed in the right direction with assuming it's a fueling issue? any insight would be great as I'm on my last leg with this truck before I take a bath and sell it....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 10:01 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Re: not fueling 6.0?

Post the code numbers. It helps.

Does the dash oil pressure gauge come up when cranking?

Are your oil filter cap and oil filter both OEM?

Will your secondary fuel filter fill up quickly with just the key on (a two-person test)?

Are you sure the fuel tank gauge is accurate?

What rpm are you cranking at?

Do you still have a working EGR system? If so, have you pulled the valve recently?

Just as an FYI - the SCT is not a good code reader. I would recommend downloading ForScan Lite to your phone. Then get a BAFX ELM327 adapter (WiFi for i-phone and Bluetooth for Android).

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic1 View Post

Will your secondary fuel filter fill up quickly with just the key on (a two-person test)?

Do you still have a working EGR system? If so, have you pulled the valve recently?

Just as an FYI - the SCT is not a good code reader. I would recommend downloading ForScan Lite to your phone. Then get a BAFX ELM327 adapter (WiFi for i-phone and Bluetooth for Android).
yes the dash guage comes us as normal and when cranking. before it was bulletproofed the truck had a bad crank sensor and would cause intermittent sync with truck and sometimes no start or delayed start and plenty of smoke would come out the exhaust leasing me to believe now as it's the opposite it's a fueling issue. codes were:
P0670
P2285
P2614
P2617

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:

yes both caps are oem. motorcraft filters all around as well. I have not had a second person to help with other fuel test. yes I'm positive the gas guage works and is accurate and no egr has long been deleted. I was really hoping to see my fuel pressure guage read low rather than the 60+ as soon my pump shuts off it bleeds down rather quickly to about 20psi. cranking rpms is normal 125+.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:11 AM
"resident smarty pants"

The 6.0 really needs 150 rpm to start.

P2285 could be due to trying to start w/ it unplugged.

Cam and crank sensor codes could be from excessive cranks or a stall event. That said, a shorted out injector coil could also cause these codes.

Charge the batteries and load test them individually. Try to crank at 150+ rpm and then record FICM MPower and LPower when cranking.

The main code to address seems to be the P0670 .... which indicates a bad GPCM (or, less likely, a PCM issue).

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
The 6.0 really needs 150 rpm to start.

P2285 could be due to trying to start w/ it unplugged.

Cam and crank sensor codes could be from excessive cranks or a stall event. That said, a shorted out injector coil could also cause these codes.

Charge the batteries and load test them individually. Try to crank at 150+ rpm and then record FICM MPower and LPower when cranking.

The main code to address seems to be the P0670 .... which indicates a bad GPCM (or, less likely, a PCM issue).
I have both batteries on charger now, they were both replaced when truck was in shop and have had no issues until this point but I will load test. I also just downloaded the forscan app and bought the adapter off eBay for $14.99 shipping out from Wisconsin cheap investment! and again with the truck in shop I had a reflashed pcm purchased from all computer resources and ficm was rebuilt from ficmrepair.com I really want alittle excessive with doing everything I thought possible while the truck was in the shop to avoid issues like this one...

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:06 AM
"resident smarty pants"

Let's hope it is as simple as a bad GPCM.

Mark
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

could that cause the non fueling issue?

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 03:28 AM
"resident smarty pants"

Since you have fuel pressure (and it is normal to quickly bleed down when you turn it off), then your next test is to see if you fill the secondary fuel filter bowl (as suggested earlier). If it fills quickly, then you don't have a fuel supply issue - IMO anyway.

A bad GPCM could impact the PCM, so it is possible that performance as well as starting, could be impacted.

Then again, so could low system voltage. When you can't see the truck, then numbers are required ............ MPower and LPower at a minimum as suggested earlier.

Mark
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Since you have fuel pressure (and it is normal to quickly bleed down when you turn it off), then your next test is to see if you fill the secondary fuel filter bowl (as suggested earlier). If it fills quickly, then you don't have a fuel supply issue - IMO anyway.

A bad GPCM could impact the PCM, so it is possible that performance as well as starting, could be impacted.

Then again, so could low system voltage. When you can't see the truck, then numbers are required ............ MPower and LPower at a minimum as suggested earlier.
ok thanks for the insight Thursday night is the next night I'm able to work on it with a second set of hands to try the other fuel test. my ficm when trying to start it with some battery life lost was 11.50 ficm ignition and 47.50 ficm internally. are they ant numbers I can pull up on my sct under the new tool comes in that will be useful?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode