06 6.0 won't start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

06 6.0 won't start

Twice my 2006 F250 6.0 stalled and wouldn't restart until the next day when it started right up. Third time no go. Crank and no start. Got a scan gauge and while cranking find FICM at 48 volts, IRP at 84.5%, SYN at 1, and ICP at 0. Replaced the ICP Sensor to no avail. Before I dig deeper under the hood and replace the IRP valve I would like some advice. I am told it it unlikely it is the pump in a 2006. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:18 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Re: 06 6.0 won't start

You need to do an air test to pinpoint the leak in the high pressure oil system. Could be the HPOP discharge (STC) fitting, or the standpipes, or the dummy plugs (assuming these parts are all still original).

Could also be the IPR valve.

Best way to do an air test (IMO) is to order the IPR fitting so you can remove the IPR and air test from that "port/fitting". You can air test through the ICP sensor port also (it is easy to get to), but sometimes a leaking IPR valve makes pinpointing a leak somewhat difficult (assuming you do have a leak somewhere else). Also, you have to close the IPR valve for the air test when you supply air through the ICP sensor port.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for your thoughtful and detailed responce. My challenge is dealing with this challenge in my driveway in rural Maine mid winter. Don't know how to perform an air test with my resources. IN the interest of throwing money at the problem, where do i throw first. My apologies to those who work with these issues unabridged.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:37 PM
PSN Veteran

Do you have base oil pressure when it won’t start? Are you using an OEM filter?

Even with a full open IPR you should still have about 150psi of pressure. Have you replaced the STC fitting?

Whereabouts in Maine? My family has 12 acres in brownfield, and we often escape to the Allagash wildnerness waterway in the summer.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:51 AM
"resident smarty pants"

These modern day diesels can get complicated. You can spend a LOT of money if you don;t do the proper troubleshooting.

Air pressure testing:

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:57 AM
"resident smarty pants"

Testing through the ICP sensor requires closing the IPR valve. There are several ways to do it, but you need to either "backprobe" a PCM connector or rig up a connector for your IPR valve that can supply 12V (pos and neg) to the valve.

To do the air test, you get a better test if you listen for the leaks with the valve covers off (for injector leaks), but you also need to listen for the air leaks at the oil fill tube, turbo oil drain tube, the CCV opening, and at the oil filter housing (filter removed).

The dummy plugs and standpipes are known leak points. They are under the valve covers (in the oil rails).

The HPOP STC fitting is harder to upgrade.

Simple searches will reveal videos on doing all of this.

The problem is that you need some tools and mechanical experience to do this work. If you can't do the work, then you will probably be at the mercy of a shop treating you honestly. Most do, but some don't. If a shop tells you that you need an HPOP, then I start to get suspicious. The 05-07 HPOP's are fairly reliable and changing them out when they don't need to be is far too common.

Mark
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 01:04 AM
"resident smarty pants"

Personally I like the method of air testing through the IPR port (IPR removed), but it is a little harder to get to than the ICP on the late 04-07 model years:
https://www.dieseltechmag.com/2015/0...-air-test-tool

Mark
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Mathewd11, I'll have to check base oil pressure. Yes I use OEM filters. I'll have to research the STC fitting.
I live in Rumford. Alligash is a nice area.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Bismic1, thanks for the additions. I'm fine doing the work, I would rather do it in a heated garage though. I'll research your suggestions and see what I come up with. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode