2003 Ex 6.0 Smoke from engine - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

2003 Ex 6.0 Smoke from engine

Hey,

Ive got a 2003 Ex 6.0 with 59k miles that i just finished addressing all the major issues that plague a 6.0. See my Sig..

When i went to start the truck up it took alot of cranking to get it where it would fire. Once it started up i got a bunch of white smoke from under the hood maybe back where the turbo is. I was concerned at first that i had pinched a wire and something was shorting out. However, this only happened when it was running. (nothing like thinking you're about to burn your vehicle down)

Im beginning to think maybe i just dont have the turbo clamps on well enough or they just haven't seated themselves fully yet. Then what im seeing is just the engine cleaning out whats in the cylinders from all the cranking and its seeping past the turbo clamp seals.

That sound legit lol

2003 Excursion EB 6.0 PSD: BPD Oil Cooler, Water Pump, 7.3 fan adapter: Adrenaline Stock HPOP: APR Head Studs (One at a time): KC Turbo Billet Compressor: EGR Delete: Sinister Coolant Filter & Regulated Fuel Return: '08+ Oil Pan/Filter: SCT LiveWire TS+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:11 AM
PSN Newb

Re: 2003 Ex 6.0 Smoke from engine

the smoke issue was only one time? as far as the long start that is not alarming as long it was just the initial start, starts ok now? does it have any driveabilty issues? You should not have had a "bunch" of smoke in the turbo area. What kind of egr delete? blanking discs? The clamps should seal pretty good even if they are under tightned, so unless they are very loose dont try to try an tighten your way out of big leak. Your misalignment theory sounds most likely. look at some utube's for clamp tightening (or turbo install).

2003 (03.25MY) 250 super duty xlt, auto, 2wd, 147K owned since new, word done; Cooling system flush and fill with ECL-1 coolant, coolant filter, oem oil cooler, BP EGR cooler, turbo rebuild and powermax GT40 compressor, dieselsite cacc boots hot side, cat delete, blue spring kit, transmissison fliter upgrade to 08 style, Edge monitor (no tuner).
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:45 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Re: 2003 Ex 6.0 Smoke from engine

Having cranked over many a 6.0 after invasive surgery, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode