03 6.0 died while driving - crank no start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

03 6.0 died while driving - crank no start

Hey all. Wealth of knowledge in these forums. Which I have consumed since I first got my truck running 2 years ago. Injectors back then.

2003 Ford F250 6.0 4x4 Crew Cab 235,000 miles

So after a 4000 mile round trip. On the way back I started to feel a slight miss during light acceleration under load, 60-70mph.

Got home. Hell froze over here. Plugged the oil heater in for 20 minutes. Fired up just fine. Little trip to the store. Idled in the parking lot for 20 min. Got on the road, accelerated just fine. Turned in to the neighborhood and accelerated around the turn. Died like the light switch had shut off. No bucking or missing, just turned off while accelerating.

Checked fuel in case of stuck gauge. Fuel filters looked as good as when I installed them. Secondary filter bowl is full.

Changed oil. Replaced oil filter. LPOP is filling the oil filter canister.

Using OBDLink MX and Forscan these are my results:
- FICM Sync good. Cam / Crank Sensor check

- 49V on FICM while Cranking.

- IPR 15% key on / 85% while cranking.

- ICP only reading 250 ~ 300 psi. (PCM desired 1900 psi)

History of truck:
- Does not like being shut off for an hour or so and then trying to restart, long cranks to fire. But always fires.

- MOST NOTICEABLE: Small oil leak coming from the rear top of engine, coming down both sides of bell housing. When I left the store parking lot the day it died, that oil leak had become dime size to pancake size.

After checking readings with ForScan I performed the following:
- Disconnected ICP sensor (sensor connector did have oil on it)

- Repaired damaged IPR valve pigtail connector (bare copper on wires at connector)

New Readings on ForScan with ICP Sensor disconnected:
- ICP 2179 psi (desired 2179 psi)

- IPR 66%

Next I will be pulling the IPR valve to check the screen and actuate the plunger to see if it is stuck.

Question: I know the snap on fitting from the HPOP tube on an 03' is a failure point. How do I know if HPOP is actually bad or if the fittings are just leaking all over the place?

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:05 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Re: 03 6.0 died while driving - crank no start

Actually the early snap-to-connect fitting is pretty good on the early trucks. It is more likely to be the HPOP if it isn't the IPR valve.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

That's good to know, thanks. The tube is like a 5 day wait. I can have the pump today with the o-rings.

Waiting on the IPR socket to arrive this morning. Ordered a screen and o-ring kit with it.

Two questions: Are there any other seals that I will need to replace while digging in to the pump? When the pump itself fails, does it normally leak as a result?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 01:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic1 View Post
Actually the early snap-to-connect fitting is pretty good on the early trucks. It is more likely to be the HPOP if it isn't the IPR valve.
This ^

In my 04 I actually had that J-tube not snapped into place....just kinda loose fitting and sitting there, and yet it still ran just fine,

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

On your J-tube, was there a noticeable oil leak that you were having?

Thanks for the additional info.

I removed the IPR valve and the screen looked fine. It was the reinforced style of screen, not original. So I assume someone has been in there before.

I applied +12V and -12V to the pins on the IPR valve and expected to hear an audible click. But nothing happened. I blew air through it while applying 12V and can't really tell the difference. Not quite sure how to bench test it? Possible ohm test, 5-6 ohms?

From what I understand, these valves rarely go bad without some kind of interference from debris puncturing the screen. I have also read that they do not produce an audible click like expected.

Going to assume the IPR is fine. Hate to assume, but my gut is telling me HPOP from what you guys have said and researching. Going to open it up today and visually inspect the pump, check where this ball bearing is located, as well as air test.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:19 PM
"resident smarty pants"

The IPR valves occasionally fail electrically. If it doesn't move with voltage applied, then it is bad. Usually the "click" you hear is when you close it WHILE air is being applied. The valve closing (if it does) will stop the sound of the air flow.

Best bet is probably to remove the valve and watch it move.

IMO if you install another OEM pump or a regular "parts store" pump, you are taking a gamble of being back into it not far down the road. Most people don't seem to have the $900 for the DieselSite Adrenaline pump, but it is worth it. It is only $300 more ...

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So I hooked up shop air to the IPR valve at 120psi for a definitive test. (attached picture)

Test example of an IPR valve actuating properly on YouTube: youtube.com/watch?v=5enzBhIEfWA

The valve is normally open with no voltage and it is supposed to be closed when 12V applied. I had absolutely no change, so the valve is either jammed open or not operational. This is also where the melted pigtail wires were, which I replaced when I started this diagnostic. Hmmmm? Starting to see a pattern.

It would make sense if the IPR valve is stuck completely open. I can only achieve 250-300psi of oil pressure. Correct? OR would a completely open valve still allow the truck to have above 500psi from the HPOP?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190222_113956.jpg (31.2 KB, 2 views)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:57 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotgivinupFORD View Post
On your J-tube, was there a noticeable oil leak that you were having?
I was having a high pressure leak somewhere and I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, so I replaced all the o-rings. Once I did that, I found a gurgle coming out of the oil filter housing, which indicated the pump was bad. I found the odd j-tube when I pulled the pump. It wasn't giving me a problem, so I re-installed it. It's been on for about 60k miles since I changed the pump and hasn't given me an issue yet (knock on wood).

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 01:22 AM
PSN Newb

Check fuse 14 I believe under driver side under steering wheel mine did same thing an could not get injectors to do the pre start buzz test 04 F350 6.0 4x4.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 01:24 AM
PSN Newb

But check them all for best results this happened like over a yr ago an my memory could be not right but was a fuse 20 amp or 25 amp. To this day is working like a charm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode