Hard start/no start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hard start/no start

Long time lurker and I have solved many problems thanks to the help from the experts on here. Now I am at a point where I need a little advice.

Early 03, deleted, arp studs, fire ring gaskets, etc, etc.

I was getting a hard start when cold and hot. My hpop numbers were bouncing and my ipr max'd out at 85%. I had a P2291 code. Pulled parts, got back to the icp sensor. It was coated in oil, so I replaced it and the pigtail. Started up fine, drove around the block, no issues.

IPR valve was replaced about 3 years ago. Rebuilt FICM about 2 years ago.

Day after I replaced the sensor, I am sometimes getting a hard start and occasional no start when the truck is hot.

When cold I have the following before cranking:
IPR=14.7
ICP-V=0.2
FICM-V=47.5

After cranking, I get the following:
HPOP=800ish
IPR=24.7
ICP-V=1.0
FiCM-V=40-43
FICM Sync=1

When it is hot and I get a hard/no start issue, the HPOP will be around mid 300s, IPR max's out at 85%. Sometimes it will eventually build pressure and crank. Every now and then it won't.

Errors I pulled are
P0098
P0683
P2291

I have had a weak glow plug in one cylinder for a while. So I am aware of that.

I know I probably need to check for leaks, but getting back to the icp sensor just isn't fun to me.

Could IAT sensor and/or the low voltage on the FICM cause it to not be able to build pressure? I just wanted to look at some obvious options before I tore into it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:09 AM
"resident smarty pants"

Re: Hard start/no start

I would get it hot and air test, and I would air test through the IPR valve position with the IPR valve air-test fitting. Inspect the IPR valve when you remove it.

IMO the IAT sensor isn't going to cause low ICP and it is a stretch to say the FICM could. Most likely issues on an early build are IPR, HPOP, and then injectors.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I followed your advice on the IPR fitting. That was much easier than going through the sensor and having to energize the valve. Ended up being #3 injector top o-ring.

I ordered the Alliant kit, fought for two days and could not get the factory retaining clip out. Cried uncle and bought an oem injector. When the next injector fails, I will upgrade them all at that time. Probably to 175/30.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:32 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Glad you got it done.

That is my plan too (upgrade to 175/30). I am at 210k miles, so it is probably in the near future.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode