Fuel pump issues - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Fuel pump issues

I need to reach out for some help. This is my first post, so let me know if the format needs to be different.

2004 F350 4x4 KR CCLB 6.0L

It started with a no start. After several key on attempts the engine started and I drove another 5 miles to my destination. That was over a week ago. The engine turned over, run for about 2 seconds and died. Similar to all of the postings I've read through on here, I found a p0231 code. I then installed a new fuel pump. Naturally that hasn't fixed the issue. I was successful in jumper wiring the pump to drive home.

To speed up the story, I am finding 4.5v at the plug to the fuel pump. After reading about tracing wires, I jumped over to the pump shutoff switch to check voltage.

Here's the strange part - I have the fuse to the pump (#40) in my hand, voltage meter hooked to circuit 787 (pink/black wire) and the meter is reading 0.34 volts.

I've found no physical damage to wires or connectors (yet). But the circuit reads 4.5v with the key on, shutoff unplugged, fuse in hand. Key off, it goes to 0.34v.

I'm not finding any voltage on circuit 238 (dark green/yellow) going into the shutoff.

What else can I check to help diagnose?

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Fuel pump issues

Here is the Torque Pro error list:

Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================

Vehicle VIN: Not present
Vehicle Manufacturer: Unknown
Vehicle Calibration ID: Not present

Current Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no current faults

Pending Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no pending faults

Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
P0231: Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit Low
P0403: Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit
P0405: Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor "A" Circuit Low
P0603: Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
P0677: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
P1000: [Ford] OBD-II Monitor Testing Incomplete
[Mazda] OBD II Monitor Testing Not Completed

U0306: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web

End of report.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:16 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Sounds like it could be the fuel pump relay which is part of the central junction box (under the dash).

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic1 View Post
Sounds like it could be the fuel pump relay which is part of the central junction box (under the dash).
Other than replacing the full panel, is there a good way to test the relay portion of it?

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 03:57 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Access the Inertia Switch - it is behind the passenger side kick panel (passenger side front seat plastic panel)

If you have full 12V power at the Orange/Yellow wire w/ the key on, that should mean you have power FROM the fuel pump relay.

Applying 12V power to the pink/black wire at the inertia switch should get the pump to run. You should see the secondary fuel bowl fill quickly w/ the fuel pump on.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode