how to seal threads on test adapter to fuel bowl - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
how to seal threads on test adapter to fuel bowl

Hi folks,

I bought a pressure gauge tester at HF and tried hooking it up to the test port on the fuel bowl last night. I am now driving a 2003 6.0. I'm wanting to verify the fuel pressure is where it should be. The test kit has an adapter with male threads that fit into the female threaded hole on fuel bowl. There is no way to put an o-ring on the test adapter. how can i seal the threads but not have it get glued in there permanently? I know not to use teflon tape. I do have a small tube of Loctite thread sealant from a different repair. Before I use that I wanted to see if there were any tips or tricks. Needless to say, I foolishly tried testing without sealing the threads and i have diesel going everywhere for a second until I turned key off!

Also unrelated question, can i change the overhead display to show me instant fuel mileage, not just average? When i cycle through with the switch i get either temp, distance to empty, and avg fuel MPG. To get the display to work i did have to remove it and re solder a few of the resistor chips onto the board. Before that it was completely dead. So i was happy i figured that out. I'm new to the 6.0 and 2003 model. My 7.3 was a 99 and xlt. My 2003 is a centenial edition with lariat trim. thanks in advance for any help you can offer on these two items.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 06:44 PM
PSN Local

Re: how to seal threads on test adapter to fuel bowl

I was just looking this up. Mine however was for a regulated fuel return system.

Everything i read said to use Permatex #3, it dosent get hard and apparently will flow throw the system without clogging up injectors (i have a 6.0)

Seems weird that it would work when it stays gooey. I literally just threw some out thinking it was crap for gaskets.... but i wasnt thinking fuel system.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 07:33 PM

So you need to have an oring on that adaptor or a different adaptor. The threads are m12x1.5 orb.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
Even if I got a different adapter I would still have some threads that need to be sealed I think. The end of the hose on gauge tester has male threads that fit the npt standard threads. When I screw that into the adapter I’m pretty sure that will leak also with no sealant, and again it doesn’t have a shoulder or wall (not sure how to describe it) to have an o-ring to sit in like the stock fuel bowl plug. I’d prefer not to buy another adapter since the kit can with one that fits. I only plan to have it installed long enough to drive and test the fuel pressure at not only idle but at WOT. I want to make sure my injuries have the pressure they need. Thanks again for all your previous and future thoughts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 08:47 PM

You can find that adaptor for under $10 at napa or a hydraulic shop. You will need to seal up an NPT thread. You could easily loose $10 worth of diesel if you spring a leak.

01 f-250, Standard
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:38 PM
Train Whistlin' Ex driver

Garage

So, I used the glo-shift adapter (shouldered with o-ring) but the transducer that threads into the adapter has not o-ring. I used the aviation permatex on both and it's held up for the last 6 months. Is your thread adapter just a cylinder with threads? If you're just looking to give it a shot, try the aviation permatex, I've read of people using the yellow teflon tape since it's fuel resistant, but I didn't want to risk any of it travelling down-stream.
Without a significant home-brew solution I don't think the stock overhead will put out instant fuel mileage, might be an interesting arduino project.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
Sbluke55,

Any way you could post a pic of what the adapter looks like or what it’s called? I’ve seen ones on amazon for $20 with some type of Shrauger valve on it, or other ones for $12 from glo shift I think. The adapter I have had male threads on one side that fit into the fuel bowl and the other end has a female hole (threads) that accept the fuel gauge hose. The kit I got from HF has several adapters and a gauge with a 66” hose. It’s labeled as an oil pressure tester but works with diesel also.

https://m.harborfreight.com/engine-o...kit-62621.html
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:57 PM

is one of those fitting the one that fits the bowl. If so just toss an oring on the fitting.

01 f-250, Standard
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
Yes it’s one of those fittings. I tried an o-ring that I had but it didn’t seem to work. Seems like there isn’t enough of a flat spot or shoulder to hold the o ring. It wanted to just spread and fold over onto the hex area outside of threads. If a little sealant will work for a quick test up and down my road I’ll do that, what do you think? The tube I have is Loctite 592 I believe. Says thread sealant. Has a white color to it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:48 PM

Yeah you can use that but I'm not sure it will hold. I would try the oring off the OEM plug on the fitting and see if you can get it to seal up

01 f-250, Standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode