Does it sound like my VGT solenoid isn't working properly? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Does it sound like my VGT solenoid isn't working properly?

So I have a 2006 6.0 CCLB Lariat 4x4

Ever since I've gotten it it's only made about 20psi of boost at WOT, maybe 21 if the conditions are right

I have a straight pipe exhaust and while I do have whistle, it doesn't seem to be as pronounced as a 05-07 whistle should be. My VGT % on my scan gauge only hits 66% maximum and that's near idle.

At idle, it'll do that VGT sweep thing where the veins open up and you only hear engine rumble, then the veins close and it spools up again. It's fairly random but it'll do it maybe once every 2 or 3 minutes at idle.

No CEL ever for the VGT solenoid. I have pulled the turbo and cleaned the veins and unison ring. As well as the EBP sensor. None of it changed/helped anything.

Any thoughts? Or is this all normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 11:32 AM
Train Whistlin' Ex driver

Garage
Re: Does it sound like my VGT solenoid isn't working properly?

If it sweeps at idle then the mechanical pieces and the solenoid should be working, I can tell that mine will go from 14.5-84.5 (whoever is beside me doesn't appreciate the 03's whistle at 84!) at idle, but doesn't go much above 60 while driving. How did everything look when you had it a apart, specifically the slot where the actuator moves the unison ring? I'd check for exhaust leaks, between the driver's side bellow on my y-pipe and exhaust manifold she was being robbed of about 8-12psi. 26psi is about all the boost I get, 20-22ish on the unlimited tow tune and 26-28 on the SRL.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 02:56 PM
PSN Newb

To the OP, I don't think it's normal, I have owned my 03 since it was new and now mine gets the same boost as yours, It definatley has hurt the towing. I too "rebuilt" the turbo thinking it was stuck vanes. I cleaned it and put in a new unison ring and vanes. . My truck runs great but not towing like it used to.

Soulless how did you check for leaks. I have pressured up my whole system, turbo inlet to exhaust pipe tip, holding 25 psi shop air I went over everything, especialy the y pipes. Was was using a modified stethescope with tubing rather than rod. What is the best thing to use tp locate a leak. I was guessing that a leak big enought to lose 10+ psi boost would be easy to hear.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 05:23 PM

Garage

The overwhelming exhaust smell in the cabin was a dead giveaway! Near/around the bellows on the firewall insulation and block was completely black and built-up with soot. Same thing around a couple of the exhaust ports where the manifold mates to the block. To narrow it down I crawled underneath while it was running and used a length of rubber 3/8" fuel hose I had lying around, as I moved it around you could hear the air rushing. When I got the y-pipe off it was pretty much two pieces, boost was maxing at 15psi, now I'm good to 25 or so depending on tune. Last time I pulled the turbo out I didn't quite mate the y-pipe to the turbo inlet and I hear the rushing sound during acceleration, that v-band clamp can be a bit of pain to get just right in that tight spot.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 08:25 PM
PSN Newb

it would be nice if my issue was that obvious. I wasnt sure now big of a leak it would take but your situatuon sorta explains that. Tks
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 08:50 PM

Garage

Yeah, it's hard to miss a decent sized exhaust leak, each stop light was a race against hypoxia. I saw something on the old you-tube the other about low boost and a dirty MAP sensor port on the intake, the guy - I think it was Ford Tech Makuloco - cleaned it out with a coat hangar and voila, boost control back to normal. Here's Ron's video about:
. I also had about an inch long tear on the turbo outlet CAC boot after the Y-pipe incident, but it, oddly enough, only hurt the boost by a couple psi, it mostly just misted oil all over the passenger side intake. Bottom line, if you're not smelling a strong exhaust smell I'd check the EBP tube, MAP sensor port and hose, and the CAC boots.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Interesting. Could it be something in my PCM? I have a SCT canned tow tune on my truck, think it operates the VGT in a different manner?

I would think my VGT would operate 14 to 85% but I've never seen it closed as far as 85% and I've never seen it open as much as 14%

I have a buddy with a 05 6.0 and he has much more whistle than my truck. And his VGT doesn't seem to open up at the loads/rpm mine does. He can tow and drive off and it's whistling like crazy the whole way. Mine will whistle quieter but will get more rumbly and throaty than his

I don't think I have an exhaust leak. I hear no weird whistles like exhaust escaping when I'm driving, and I don't have any black sootiness anywhere. When I re-installed the turbo it just dropped into place and everything lined up perfectly.

My unison ring seemed alright, maybe a tad bit worn but no cracks or weirdness. My veins were all good as well, and my turbine wheel was in great shape.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:20 AM

Garage
I suppose the SCT could be limiting boost to 20 or so. Do you have their street tune to try? The only time my VGT cycles between 14&84 is during it's idle sweep. It will get up to about 70 if I lay into from a stop, but typical operation seems to be about 40-65.
Did you check your MAP port/hose from the intake?
Does your buddy have the stock turbine wheel and turbo? My 03 whistles like a jet on a strafing run, but the 13 vanes on the 04 and up's are kind of tame, also the engine rumble does eventually overtake the whistle.

2003 Excursion 6.0, 2004 front cover, Stock head bolts, unknown EGR delete, 4" Diamond Eye turbo back exhaust, Magnaflow 60110 catalytic converter (makes the '03 whistle livable), Hellwig Sway bar, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Gearhead tunes - 8k tow or SRL depending on my level of 6.0 paranoia, unknown work by previous owners...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:23 AM

Garage
And the CAC boots, I didn't notice mine was torn until I took it off, tear was on the back side, and the OEMs do crack and seep as they get oil soaked and old.

2003 Excursion 6.0, 2004 front cover, Stock head bolts, unknown EGR delete, 4" Diamond Eye turbo back exhaust, Magnaflow 60110 catalytic converter (makes the '03 whistle livable), Hellwig Sway bar, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Gearhead tunes - 8k tow or SRL depending on my level of 6.0 paranoia, unknown work by previous owners...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 11:04 AM
"resident smarty pants"

Also, please post what your EBP, MAP, and Baro readings are at KOEO and when cold and hot idle.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode