6.0 with a bunch of miles - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

6.0 with a bunch of miles

Hi... I’m looking at buying a 2003 Ford Super Duty F-350 SRW Lariat
Powerstroke diesel but it’s a 6.0 and has 230000 miles on it... I was wondering how much anyone would pay for that and if it’s just an all around bad idea thanks -j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 11:43 AM
Train Whistlin' Ex driver

Garage
Re: 6.0 with a bunch of miles

When I was looking $15k was my MAX budget. I have noticed though that prices are kind of all over the place. Keep in mind that you need to accept that you could eat 10-15k for a rebuild (, or be willing to do it yourself, and that parts in general are not cheap! If it's been "bullet-proofed" make sure you get the build list and shop where it was done, you'll see a lot of posts where people bought a "bullet-proof" 6.0 only to have big problems because of bad parts or bad work. That said, I bought my Ex last January with 206K on have had 11,000 trouble free miles so far (knock on wood). If you are prone to truck induced paranoia I would steer clear! That said, I got a 6.0 because I wanted one - I've always been less sensible than I should be - but for a pickup I'd be hard pressed to pick a 6.0 over a newer 6.2 gas or and older v10.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:51 PM
PSN Local

Re: 6.0 with a bunch of miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlseth View Post
Hi... I’m looking at buying a 2003 Ford Super Duty F-350 SRW Lariat
Powerstroke diesel but it’s a 6.0 and has 230000 miles on it... I was wondering how much anyone would pay for that and if it’s just an all around bad idea thanks -j
Two questions for you....

1. Is the motor stock, or has someone gone through it and done the common "bulletproofing" stuff like studs, EGR delete, blue spring, dummy plugs, stand pipes, HPOP....ect, ect....

2. How much extra money do you have in order to fix/repair/maintain the truck?

I paid $12,000 for my 05' F250 with 180,000 miles on it.....appeared to be 100%, mint condition inside and out, only used to tow a camper on the highway. Then a few months after I bought it, I got a head gasket leak and ended up spending about $2,500+ on parts and studs, gaskets, SCT fitting, oil cooler, EGR delete, dummy plugs, stand pips, etc, etc, etc.........just to get it all right.

With a used truck, you never know what you are going to get. Plan on having $2,000+ laying around extra for repair IF you do it yourself....probably $8,000+ if you are going to have a shop do it for you. Like anything used with high miles....it's a crapshoot. That's not to mention the 4-gallons of oil, and filters you need ever 5,000 miles. These trucks are not cheap to maintain.

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode